The "DO" command in cisco IOS

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone else use it?
I'm so used to using it that I have a feeling I will use it on the exams lol

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Every time I'm in config mode I do. No sure if it's available in the sims though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I either use it for most of my show commands when in config mode or never use it and back out into exec mode. No idea why, depends on my mood I suppose :P
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use it all the time with show commands to check configs and such as I go through setups.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I was at a place where they logged SNMP + an email was sent each time you exited config mode. I took it as a habit to always use "do" for show commands to not get spammed by emails.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, constantly. About the only time I back out is when I need to see some extra syntax options; although I think I've seen where more recent versions are still able to do context-sensitive help via ? when prefixing the commands with 'do'
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope they have it on the sims, would be more real worldish.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use "do wr" all the time.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I use it all the time (You dont need it when on a nexus series switch however).
    I do not believe the 'do' command works on the sims however for the labs.
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use it all the time.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    All the time. It irks me to no end how on NX-OS I don't need it but IOS, IOS-XE, and IOS-XR I need it. I'm in all of those platforms daily and I have to flip flop. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    All the time. It irks me to no end how on NX-OS I don't need it but IOS, IOS-XE, and IOS-XR I need it. I'm in all of those platforms daily and I have to flip flop. lol.

Cisco does this (different rules on different platforms) a lot. Going between IOS Routers and Cisco ASAs can get a bit annoying (Wildcard Mask vs. Subnet Mask, "ip route" vs. "route", etc...)
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]