I Need A Good Tool for Memorizing all CLI commands on switches/routers

PheonyxPheonyx Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Was hoping I could find a good technique that someone might recommend for memorizing most of the imperative CLI commands for switches and routers. My ICDN1 exam is less than a month away (August 3rd, 2015) and the biggest thing I'm nervous about is remembering the commands. Does anyone have a really good tool or technique to studying and memorizing the commands? Thanks!

-Pheonyx

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly I would fire up packet tracer or gns 3 and just practice entering them.
    I am sure you can use lists or flash cards but it becomes much more intuitive if you just practice. This will help you in the exam and real world.

Good Luck!

*edit - you might use something like flash cards that tells you the command and then also what information the command offers for show commands.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Most importantly will be labbing. Actually doing the commands will ingrain them in memory and it will be like second nature. And then I would recommend flashcards.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep entering in the commands

I would also write up a mock requirement for a setup of a switch and network. Something along the lines of this:

We need x amount of switches and x amount of VLANS
    All switches must have x access with the following usernames and passwords having access to them (this gives you practice on setting up local login)
    We need 1 default gateway
    We need an IP address for x amount of hosts
    We need to segment x amount of job categories (HR, finance) and put each segment into it's own broadcast domain, but only have 1 router in the entire network (this will give you practice on VLANS)
    We need the switch names to be x and y

Be as vague as possible, go in and set it up!

When I say be as vague as possible, attempt to write up requirements like a non technical person would (or as non technical as possible lol)
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're honestly better off learning what they mean and when to use them. I don't think memorizing them will really be of value.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's the same method one would employ when attempting to get to Carnegie Hall.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lab until you are sick of it, then lab some more. In everything I have done, I have found typing them out and labing to be the best learning tools for commands.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with pretty much everyone who said lab. Don't think there's an easy way around it--all you have to do is lab,lab,lab. Then you won't need a technique to memorize them.
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    What i would say is build some kind of topology implement what you have learnt. If you plan and build a network topology that you can use to practise all what you have learnt is amazing, if not try going to youtube and try building something.

I believe that anything needs a spark to ignite and shine like a star what i would say develop untill u can build you own spark rather than using some others spark and getting benefitted about. You will be the same when you memorize its the practise what you need to be perfect and boost your potential.

Right now I am preparing for CCNA too what i do is after 2-3 chapters i build my own network practise all what i have learnt including the previous ones. I would say you will nail it in this manner but might take some time and you will never forget in this way.

Hope you understand what i was trying to convey.
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • PheonyxPheonyx Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone!! appreciate the advice, I shall march forth to packet tracer! :)

@Nans You definitely came across with a solid method, once I finish reading the book this week, ill start over and go through each section and practice building a network per section. :)
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    What's helping me learn the commands is to use Boson Ex-sim alongside Packet Tracer at home and at work on my spare time. I can do a side by side comparison on the dual screens and really sink in when to use them.

No matter how confident I feel on the Boson exams my score is always getting better, I keep learning new stuff plus, like many have mention the study mode tells you why your answer if right or wrong and I like it...

The one thing though that many have said is Boson is harder than the Cisco exam.
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Pheonyx wrote: »

@Nans You definitely came across with a solid method, once I finish reading the book this week, ill start over and go through each section and practice building a network per section. :)

You are welcome buddy..!!
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    A great book to get is the "CCNA Portable Command Guide". It's a small book, I take to work and even on holiday (sad I know) and it allows you to know what commands to use and it will give you an example. I recommend this book, it's about $20 on Amazon.

However, if you do have a computer at your disposal, simply just lab lab and lab some more on Packet Tracer or GNS3.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle