FIOS/RDP/Firewall setup

kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
3 questions.
  1. Has anyone here setup their own separate firewall using FIOS at home?
  2. Also wondering if anyone has implemented their own wireless router instead of the one Verizon provides
  3. Anyone get RDP to work successfully with FIOS in their home environment? I know there's some FW rules and port forwarding that needs to be done. I have played with it a little, but isn't working well between macs.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No issues using RDP with fios router. Have not tried the separate firewall or a different router.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    3 questions.
    1. Has anyone here setup their own separate firewall using FIOS at home?
    2. Also wondering if anyone has implemented their own wireless router instead of the one Verizon provides
    3. Anyone get RDP to work successfully with FIOS in their home environment? I know there's some FW rules and port forwarding that needs to be done. I have played with it a little, but isn't working well between macs.
    Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

I have done it, with no issues, and I would HIGHLY advise you to change the port in which you access RDP. If not, you are going to get hammered a ton by people trying to brute force your service.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What I'd like to do is create a separate subnet if you will. Something behind a separate device, so that my devices will route through it and not directly through the FIOS router.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I first got FiOS I noticed that if I used their modem/router for wireless I would get static on the phone line. So I disabled the wireless on the modem/router and then ran a separate wireless router. Had not issues doing it that way, just assigned it a static address and use a normal port (not the uplink port). Dunno about the firewall, as far as I know there isn't a way to turn it off other then setting an address as the DMZ.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    I use the default FIOS router myself. I have a VPN which I connect to and then connect to my RDP stuff. Much more secure, and fewer ports are opened to the outside world.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @mragent - using the built in VPN or something else?
    No. I used OpenVPN. They have a virtual appliance you can deploy. Its free for personal use. I believe you can have two connections with that version.
    https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/download-openvpn-as-vm.html
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another option for OpenVPN is to buy a wireless router, such as ASUS that has it built-in. Less work and you get a good a wireless router as well. I distrust the ones that are built-in to the ISPs modem.