Company Contacting Current Employer

guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
When you are applying for jobs and you get that form for past employment, do you allow the company to contact your current employer? I feel it would look bad if I checked do not contact previous/current employer. Then again I think it would look bad if they called my current employer and I don't 100% without a doubt have the job...

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Current employer - NO
    Past emplyers - Yes (if you still have contacts or friends in the old jobs)
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I normally allow it for past jobs, if I'm currently working I won't allow contact until I've talked with them or received an offer. Usually references are enough but some companies do like to talk to each past job (within 5 years)
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I only allow contact with my current employer if an offer is extended and the terms are of my liking. When filling out online applications the options are usually YES or NO, so I go with NO. Having said that, in 15 years doing IT I've never had anyone request to contact the current employer at the time.
  • goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    When I applied for my current job I checked the box that said do not contact my current employer. Then I had to resubmit my application (it was digitally signed, which means any changes required redoing the whole thing and I forgot my graduation year for my degree) and I forgot to check it the second time.

Fast forward a few weeks; I had interviewed, they selected me as the top candidate, they told me they were going to check references before I got my official offer. A few hours later I stopped by my boss' office to ask a question and he goes "Have a seat..." Apparently they called him for a reference. It was an awkward month after that, with them waiting to see if I was leaving, and me waiting for the official offer before putting in my notice. Needless to say, I will be EXTREMELY careful in the future to make sure I select "Do not contact" until I'm ready. My boss knew I was looking, but it was still awkward. :/
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I will typically say yes, but add a note stating that I am to be contacted before hand when they get to that stage. Haven't had an issue at all with them contacting them without some prior notice.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No way. I would never want my current employer to know if I'm job seeking. However, if I have a start date with the new job then they are more than welcome to contact my current employer.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IF your currently working Choose NO!!!! I don't care How much the job is paying its just not worth exposing your looking for employment. When Layoff time comes it makes it that much easier to choose people.icon_sad.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with almost everyone else, no way! I've worked in a number of smaller companies in the past, it would be the biggest red flag ever if they called for a current reference. I don't know anyone who would be OK with that.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No way.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    In the United States you can't be fired for looking for other work. I tend to be in the camp of not wanting them to contact my current employer because I don't want to make them needlessly worry. I actually like my current job. With the last job I interviewed for I am a top candidate and they had to perform an intensive background check. (Which is still underway), and it is required by law that they contact my current employer for the check. I found that being honest with my current employer was very helpful, and they were very understanding of it.

That being said, while I am relieved that I told them, I try and make it a point to not tell my current employer that I am interviewing unless an offer is extended for that position.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ Shdwmage

Unfortunately, at-will employment they can fire you for nearly anything. Even if it was illegal in every state (which I'm not sure that it is), all they have to do is just not say why they are terminating the employee or some canned response like "He just isn't a good fit".
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I always put NO in that field. I've never had anyone contact my current employer.
    meh
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ah, the beauty of employment at will. I've never seen anyone fired for looking at Indeed, CareerBuilder, etc. However, I've seen people who looked at Indeed/CareerBuilder terminated shortly thereafter for "other unrelated reasons".

Source: I ran the proxy reports and processed the terminations.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Former employer fired an employee after they found out he attended an interview elsewhere. Cited "conflict of interest" as the reason. WV at will employment, he had no recourse apparently.

My advice is to tread lightly and always cover your ass.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)