Using Old Study Material....

byfaithbyfaith Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

Long time IT guy here, with various infrastructure certs, etc. Looking to get CISSP to validate all the security work I have been doing over the years. So far I am reading through the AIO from Shon Harris as well as her MP3s (good stuff!). Also, I have the 11th hour book by Conrad, as well as the "Official Guide to the CBK". So far, only the later is based off the new 8 domain CBK rather than the old 10 domain CBK. The MP3s are very old too. I only listened to Access Control, but everything in there was amazingly relevant today (I think these must have been recorded in 2002?). Is there more current stuff from Shon (RIP)? I like her lecture style.

These might be questions that are hard to answer....but I'll take a shot:
  • Is the old material missing a lot of the new content?
  • Does the old material cover topics that the new CBK doesn't require (causing me to waste brain cells)
  • Is the new CBK simply a reorganization of the same material?
I would really not like to waste my time.

I did not see this discussed recently, so apologies if this was already beaten up :)

PS: this exam reminds me a lot of Bicsi RCDD stuff or the Cisco design certifications (which I have done). Brutal if you ask me....I have a much easier time with technical exams than the design ones icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    • Is the old material missing a lot of the new content? - Shon Harris 6th edition, 11th Hour CISSP 2nd edition are still relevant. However you may need to skim over the new CBK
    • Does the old material cover topics that the new CBK doesn't require (causing me to waste brain cells) - You should have to go through the new CBK
    • Is the new CBK simply a reorganization of the same material? - To some extent it is true. You can browse this forum or cccure to find the new additions with the new CBK
  • grungeisevilgrungeisevil Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

The old material is still very relevant for the new exam. I'm not too sure if it does cover materials that is not in the new CBK but here's a list of what was added to the structure

For me, I used Eric Conrad's Study Guide 2nd edition, Cybrary Free CISSP videos, and CBT nuggets to study and CCCure practice questions to reinforce my understanding.

I read a few pages of the sample chapter in the new CBK and decided not to buy it. Too much fluff, poorly written and edited.

HTH and good luck!
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The majority, if not all, of the changes to the exam were structural. Nothing was removed from the exam according to ISC2, it was only rearranged to fit modern thinking and methodologies. ie. Cryptography is no longer its own domain, it's spread throughout the other domains. As a security professional it's rare that you'll only work in cryptography, but you'll use it within the context of other domains. As far as using the old material, it's the same things, maybe given a new location in the book.
  • sponge2sponge2 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wish you the best.
    Which test questions do you plan to use?
    To get a feel for the exam anf boost your confidence take as many mock tests as possible.