Where are you at, where do you want to be?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Career wise where are you at where do you want to be?

Free text, answer how you will.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Career wise I am in a policy position for the most part. I have internal systems that I have designed (or helped design), built, and utilize. But beyond that I am reviewing systems for security issues and regulatory compliance. I like to equate it to being a UN Peacekeeper, you see things, but can't actually act on them (most of the time anyway). I'd like to get into a security role either on the research side of the house or in a pentesting fashion. Completing my Masters and some certifications should get me there.

Working from home would definitely be a really nice option if I could find it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am where I want to be. A stable environment, in which, the contract will last for years and no modifications to the contract and a great commute..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I am right where I want to be, Retired from my primary career and take calls when I feel like, I can either take the call or I refer to a friend of mine if I want to go fishing.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Currently working as an Enterprise support Sr Analyst (Platinum) at Dell. I get to work on Servers, Storage, Switch & converged systems. I'd like to see myself in next 5 years as a master engineer specializing on networking, VMWare & SDN. FYI, in Dell anything is possible...Just saying..
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm at the beginning of my career. I'm currently in networking, I'd like to continue with networking but I feel like I need to branch out and learn other technologies like programming, scripting, and Linux.

I think I'd like to get into a test engineer role or network implementation role. Not really sure.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Currently a systems administrator, wanting to eventually become a systems engineer. It seems no matter how hard I try to offer up ideas about effective solutions for our environment, people just don't want to hear it. So we now have multiple solutions implemented in an enterprise environment that the company wasted a ton of money on and the "solutions" don't even work.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Currently senior network architect for a world wide service provider. Where do I want to be? Retired on a golf course somewhere. Realistically I'll probably move into consulting, writing, something with more freedom to travel next.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not where I want to be but it's ok for now, I want to be working closer to home eventually.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,233 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm right here, but I want to be over there where the grass appears to be greener. :)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    • Where I'm at: Working on an RDO schedule as a Test Engineer for a large government contractor making alright money.
    • Want to be at: Exactly where I'm at. I've been moving around and building my career since 2011 and I sort of want stability plus the great work/life balance I currently have.
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Right now I'm a Sr IT Security Engineer doing auditing, engineering, architecture, firewall and IDS, network security, with a little bit of risk thrown in. I'm trying to pick a path to deep dive my knowledge in and I'm considering pentesting, network security, or cloud security. Alternatively I'd like to be a sales engineer, so I'm thinking either deep dive into network security and knock out Cisco certs and be a sales engineer in that realm, or dive into AWS/Azure/VMware cloud and do cloud sales engineering with a focus on security.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ NetworkNewb

Current state Business Analyst - short term Senior BA (within 6 months) and long term solutions architect or business architect.

@ JoJo Cloud Security sounds like it could be VERY promising.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Currently I am a Network Engineer doing breakfix. I've been doing it since 2012 and for the situation I am currently in - I am enjoying it and I'm not in a rush to move on. I work a shift pattern and quite like it, and it affords me plenty of time to study. It's ideal really, but one day I want to be Technical Architect.
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Current Noc Engineer, where i want to be Network engineer who works from home sometimes and also gets to travel, would love to travel and work from wherever i am...
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Jr network engineer... Network Forensic it's the goal. Would like to earn enough to have a bit to invest on the side. Always liked the idea of investing a farm/agriculture. Maybe start a Consultation company with a few colleagues.
    On the personal, want to be 60 pounds less and at some point get a Minor in applied mathematics (just personal goals).
    meh
    @gorebrush

Maybe we will be in JAD sessions in the near future. :)
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm unemployed trying to land a data analyst, Python or C++ position.

I'm aiming my career at AI applied to either robotics or data science.
    @yzT

What ended up happening with the SAP gig?
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Currently a network engineer at a fortune 1000 doing a hybrid role. I am the lead engineer on any security, wireless, environmental, and route switch implementations in our company. I do some network architect work, contract negotiations, PM work, automation work, and more.

Where I'd like to be is closer to home in a senior position (this is why I do the contracts, PM work, etc to help me get to this goal) at a place that is willing to look for me to keep advancing my career at their facilities. Eventually would like to do something outside of IT but just haven't found what yet. I enjoy what I do every day though. Just not with the place I am at.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @N2IT either it's still in process or they discarded me and forgot to tell me about it (she said she would send me an email in case I wasn't chosen).
    Hey good luck! That job sounded like a great opportunity to get some ERP experience.
  • Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently I am in a helpdesk role for a major healthcare provider. I am currently looking to work my way into infosec. Right now I am studying for my SSCP, while as the same time working on virtual labs with Kali, Metaspoilt etc. I eventually want to get into consulting for networking and security.
  • 2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    help desk is where i am now and i want to get out and get into networking or info security or maybe system admin! it seems hard to get out of this help desk!!
    While I was on the desk I was hungry to cert up. In fact 2 years on the desk I did A+, N+, S+ and MOS 2007 Expert, and ITIL F.

Eventually I made it to a team lead spot and I ended up only getting 4 more certs from that time on, RMP, CAPM, ITIL ST and SO.

Use the motivation on the desk to cert up. Because if you are like me once the cert bug is gone it's gone forever.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where I'm at currently: Deskside Support Analyst at an international Fortune 500

Where I want to be: I guess the next step for me will be a Jr Sysadmin, NOC or SOC Analyst.

When I grow up I want to design and secure Virtualization infrastructures. Working some from home would be a great bonus!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • JimSweJimSwe Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been working in helpdesk ever since I finished my IT education. It has been frustrating to not use most of the knowledge and skills I learned at school.

However I just landed a sysadmin job so I'll move up in august, after over 3.5 years of first line helpdesk. I'm glad I managed to get out before all the skills I learned became antiquated - When I was studying, Server 2008 R2 was the latest and greatest. A few more years in helpdesk and my education would have been worthless.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm part of a security operations team for a fortune 500 company, I'm working on my Information Assurance doctorate hopefully soon and I'd like to take a senior security analyst position or higher
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am a Network Engineer for a smaller Cisco partner. I am not exactly where I want to be, but some changes in my future over the next couple of weeks may get me closer. I would love to work for myself one day.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Today I'm an engineer. Tomorrow? I'd love to work my way up to a senior architect. I look at people like Andre Laurent who write their own rules and have fun working with the technology they love every day and I want to be like that.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Where I am at now: Tech support, doing videoconferencing support for a small market. Not very lucrative, I'll say.

Where I want to be: Linux administration for now. Eventually, I'd like to get into engineering role.