Options

Job/Interview Dilemna...

Is there an elegant way to say during the interview (or during a call back) that you have applied for other jobs and still need to look into them as well?

It's a non-profit organization that doesn't pay particularyly well, and it doesn't look like much vertical movement being as small as it is. I don't have any paid experience and I am unemployed, but I just took a skills assessment test for another job that pays about 2.5x as much. The test incorporated both parts of the A+ and the Network+ of which is very fresh in my mind and I did very well on it (they don't give out scores though).

My point is I don't want to take this job and turn around and give a two weeks notice after I start. Is there a nice way to say the pay is lousy and I just want this job until something better opens up?
"Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Comments

• Options
    indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a somewhat similar problem a few days back. I applied for a job and got an interview. I came to know that they were a startup and were going to pay me a very low hourly rate for a managerial position (way below what I was earning for a non-managerial position). They seemed very interested in hiring me, although I wasn't.. After I got home, I prayed hard that they do not call me up later so that I would not have to go thru the ordeal of saying 'no'. THANK GOD they did not call after all.. Guess they understood I wasn't interested in such a measley pay..
    I would rather stay unemployed and wait some more time for a better job (do my certifications in the meantime) than work here at such rates... I feel ashamed to even mention the rate that they were going to offer me...
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "My point is I don't want to take this job and turn around and give a two weeks notice after I start. Is there a nice way to say the pay is lousy and I just want this job until something better opens up?"

NO! If you say or hint that, you will be ruled out automatically. Employers want someone who will stick around for awhile. On the other hand, they are a non-profit, they probably know you will not stick around forever at a lower than normal wage. Ask them for a final decision deadline. The most important thing might be the experience gained by any type of technical job, especially if you are relatively new to the field. Make sure you have a job lined up before turning ANY offer down. The way the economy is, you don't know when that next offer will come.

"Is there an elegant way to say during the interview (or during a call back) that you have applied for other jobs and still need to look into them as well?"

You could probably work that in, just not in the initial interview unless they make you an offer on the spot. Ask them when they need a final decision and that you had several job offers (or whatever your situation is). I waited until the callback or final interview to approach this subject.

Maybe you could ask how you could become more valuable and earn more money.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I haven't actually spoke with them. They left a message on the answering machine while I was taking the test for one of the other jobs. The job in question doesn't even pay $9/hr. icon_redface.gif I really do need the experience, but I don't want to sell myself short either. I don't see any wiggle room for negotiations either with them being a non-profit.

I'm at least going to call the guy back and somehow tell him I'm no longer interested. Someday I'm going to be glad I chose a career in IT. icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    Well, I called and removed myself from consideration. Before I could get it out the guy hiring wanted to meet me right away. It sounds like I pretty much had the job. I hope I don't regret this.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Did you see the 2nd shot exam offer?
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do what's best for you but remember experience means a lot. If you have to accept a low-paying job to gain experience then be it.
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Go Bucks wrote:
    Well, I called and removed myself from consideration.
    So what did you end up telling him? How did you phrase it?
  • Options
    I told him that I was really concentrating on getting my Network+ cert and that I would be in Texas for 2 weeks in March, which will be true if I don't have a job. I thanked him for considering me and I told him that who knows down the road sometime.... He was very nice and probably somebody I would've enjoyed working with.

If nothing else, I'm gonna get a vendors license and do some pc repair. At least I will have some documented experience even if it is self employed.
  • Options
    jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    I was in this same situation. I had an offer on the table from Company A and a second interview scheduled within the week with Company B. I was very honest with the manager from A saying that I had a second interview with company B and for the sake of my family and future I needed to make a decision after I had all options presented. I asked if I could have two weeks to get back to him. I make it very clear I wasn’t trying to pinch him to increase his offer. He thanked me for my honesty and allowed me the two weeks. After the second interview I was offered a job with company B which I accepted. (Two years later I see now I should have gone with company A)