Got my Network+ & still no job

13»

Comments

• BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    This post was so suspenseful reading it from start to finish. Glad it had a happy ending. Keep it up Mudkip16!

My fiance is Vietnamese and she had the same level of commitment that you had throughout all this... and she was also working as a nurse and hated it she's now working on her MCSA after getting her A+ and Network + and now works in help desk for the past 4 months. She doesn't make the money she wants but she loves it! ..I told her to stick it out for a good year and then move on, she wants to do system administrator like her soon-to-been hubby. :) ... it's very interesting at night when we fight... cause were fighting over who can play with the home-lab 1st! ... her revenge is leaving my world of warcraft characters in different places all the time and deleting my hearthstone.icon_wink.gif

People Still Play World Of Warcraft? I thought the game Died after WOTLK?
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Why is everyone giving her the advice to leave the IT field and go back to the pharmacist/bioengineering field she stated she left because she didn't like it? And I quote her here: "I didn't like it. That's why I've made the decision to leave the field."

And why are we encouraging her to absorb the average tuition debt of $114K so she could make about $115-150K a year doing something she doesn't like doing when she could make the same money or better in 5 years in a field she likes with less or no debt?

Yes, she's learned the hard way that getting your foot in the door in IT is hard but I commend her for getting that foot in the door, passing the Network+, working on her Security+ and setting some goals. Let's celebrate that and give her advice on what she asked instead of telling her to go back to a field she has no interest in.

If you read her post, it sounds like she doesn't like her working conditions. It is silly to leave the field you studied for four years because the company you work for now has sweat shop policies. You switch the company, not the field.

Bachelor's in Biology is not a terminal degree for that field. BS in Biology is a base for the advanced degrees either in medical, research or pharmaceutical fields. That's the biggest reason why people get it and usually there is no stop at this level; people continue straight to their advanced degree of choice.

To open up a pharmacy, you need a pharmacist license and roughly $150K for the stock. $114K school loan will be a pocket change compared to the millions she will make.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Again, thats me. I wouldnt be able to afford to not have a job. I would get a job in what I could with my skills then focus moving to the one I want.

She did have a job at the beginning of the thread. It just wasn't an IT job and she didn't like the job or field at the beginning of the thread. Now she's an intern in IT. She might not get paid more but she's studying and in a field she seems to be happier in or has a passion pursuing. If she does the right things, she could be making $100-150K in 5 years
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Kreken wrote: »
    If you read her post, it sounds like she doesn't like her working conditions. It is silly to leave the field you studied for four years because the company you work for now has sweat shop policies. You switch the company, not the field.

Bachelor's in Biology is not a terminal degree for that field. BS in Biology is a base for the advanced degrees either in medical, research or pharmaceutical fields. That's the biggest reason why people get it and usually there is no stop at this level; people continue straight to their advanced degree of choice.

To open up a pharmacy, you need a pharmacist license and roughly $150K for the stock. $114K school loan will be a pocket change compared to the millions she will make.

It actually sounded like she isn't really happy with the field and didn't want to rack up more debt further pursuing something she didn't enjoy or wasn't sure of. It's not all about money but she can make just as much or more than a pharmacist in IT. The average pharmacist makes $115K a year. I surpassed that in 5 years. The average pharmacy OWNER makes $250K a year - this requires quite a bit of capital, education, and personal risk to make it there. You can make as much in IT in probably the same amount of time it would take for you to get the education required to become a pharmacist and to save up the capital to own a business and she might not dislike the field she's working in.

People change jobs and fields all the time. There's a slew of people on this forum with four year degrees that don't have anything to do with IT and they moved on to be very successful and happy in this field. Just because someone spends 4 years on an unrelated degree doesn't mean it's the wrong move for them to change fields or that their degree is wasted. I don't know you, Kreken, so I don't know your experience or success in IT or if you have had a harder time of it, but it's entirely possible for her to be as successful if not more than a pharmacist. I know plenty of consultants pulling $200-300K a year. Even non-direct IT such as IT training can bank you $400K+ if you passionate and a great teacher. Look at Narbik - he owns his own little training company mom and pop shop and he's doing VERY well
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I gave alternatives to getting into IT and in fact I started with Network+ just like this individual.

I suggest you take short term contracts such as computer moves, helpdesk, desktop, pc technician. Most head hunter companies will have very short term contracts to test you. If you do great they will likely hire you on a perm position or long-term contract.

I recommend A+ certification or CCNA as well to help ease your way into a entry or mid-level position.

In the long run you will want to gun for a CCNA or higher level certification.

Now as far as pharmacy school, there are online alternatives significantly cheaper than 115k.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Harsh reality is that all because you have a Network+, doesn't mean you will get a job. Same goes for a CCNA or any cert. You have to sell yourself as a person and you abilities/capabilities and willingness to learn. A cert will just put something on the checklist to get you in for an interview or show HR/employer that you have an understanding of this material. However, it will show that you are a self motivator and independent learner. So in reality, certs are a blessing or a curse depends on how you see it. But from what I have heard from other posts, you actually got an IT internship. Congrats. Just remember, the learning doesn't stop even after Security+. Start looking at other vendors usually Microsoft or Cisco then once you have some there, start looking at security vendors such as EC-Council or ISC2 for the more advanced level certifications. You are building a good foundation which will last a lifetime. Just be careful and don't get stuck in the CompTIA trend and take every exam with them. There is a reason why most people stop after Security+ and maybe you will see the same reason also. Best of luck with your new journey.
    OP -

I got your PM a couple weeks back. Sorry that I didn't respond. SUPER busy with CCIE studies so going crazy over here. As far as IT, you've got your foot in the door. Volunteer for every project, learn as much as you can, be the best go-getter you can be and realize you WILL mess up and feel like an idiot at times. It always happens to the best of us but as long as you learn from your mistakes, you'll be good. Sometimes people might be judgmental or narrowminded - don't try to change them, just be better at your job than them. Those people make you shine.

As far as what you should do with your career, do what you enjoy. It might take you some time to figure out in IT what you enjoy since there are many parts of IT but when you enjoy something, go for it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Mudkip16Mudkip16 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whoa.

So many people advising me to stick with pharmacy, and my answer is still "NO."
    @Iristheangel is right, I'm tired of the field, not the facility. 3+ years of it and I now KNOW that I cannot tolerate it any longer. It doesn't matter where I go; I've worked in 3 different places already, and I always come home the same: tired, hungry, and ....sad icon_sad.gif

I know it looks easy from the outside, but you would never know the insanity until you've worked in one. Like last night, and old man asked me to hand him a few narcotic pain pills through the drive-thru window because he just had surgery, and he "NEEDS THEM NOW." I told him it was against the law for me to do that. He started yelling at me, telling me to have a heart, and proceeded to pull down his pants so he could show me.
    That's right. I saw an old man's tush yesterday, and I was like "welp, that's it. No more." Can't unsee icon_redface.gif

This being an IT forum, it baffles me how some of you tell me to run in the opposite direction. Well, I won't...because I love the IT field SO much more. I get it, I like it, and I can do it.
    I'm asking you all for advice because I wanna BE like you! I wanna know how you guys arrived to where you are today. Simple, right? (Unless you REALLY hate your job)

And @Iristheangel , it's ok. I figured you were busy. Thanks for having my back in all this. You practically took the words straight out of my mind.

I'm still gonna work in the pharmacy full time with the internship being 2-3 days a week, and thus I'll be working 6 days a week.icon_thumright.gif It'll be exhausting, but it'll be worth it. Last year's intern landed an engineering position this year. Hopefully, I can do the same or close.

I can't wait to begin
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just to add, keep learning and never stop. It'll make things a hell of a lot easier to get ahead in your career or get out of a sucky job should you land in one.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • DAVID QDAVID Q Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just hopefully I'm not dealing with a social engineer individual. But Listen Young lady I maybe giving up too much of the game. I also maybe shooting my on self in the foot by giving you this information because I am creating competition for myself. I think the quickest way for you to get a IT job is through one of the military branches they have plenty of IT jobs. If you can score high on the ASVAB,MEDICAL, and don't have a CRIMINAL RECORD you maybe good. their are four different branches. You have the
    1.Airforce
    2.Army
    3.Navy
    4.Marines
    Two out the four branches have a reserve and guard unit and will take individuals up to 39. And 1 out the 2 branches has a Guard unit that will take individual's up 39 . This particular branch in your state may have hundreds of IT jobs if you can passed the ASVAB,MEDICAL,AND criminal background check and get through boot camp. I was able to qualify for IT because when I took the ASVAB I had a strong electrical aptitude, and as a result, I was able to land in IT in one of the military branches, plus I a little bit of experience before joining so it became easy for me during tech school although boot-camp was hell.
    Sense you already have net+ theirs one particular job I wouldn't select, because it would shorten up your tech-school by a couple weeks. Theirs certification you can get such as the A+ and Sec+ depending on your MOS their also a MOS that will get you the NET+, but sense have that I would n't go for that MOS or AFSC. Also because you have a degree, you would rank-up HIGHER. I can't tell you what branch you must research.
  • DAVID QDAVID Q Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you choose not to go the military route that's find, but this some advice gave to someone in your shoes just the other day. But in your case I going to add some extra advice to this same form. You must listen to ElI-THE-COMPUTER-GUY

Rejection for Tech Professionals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG_WeQjuseU

Motivation as a Tech Professional
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nspRjL2Pu64

How to Talk to Black People
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpXfutQSlN8

Should I Use My Military Education Benefits to get a Masters Degree in Cybersecurity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ__o-aoVyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2TWKHV5DOw
    As an Ex Marine Stuck in a Help Desk Job What Should I Do?

What are your strong points? Even with the Comptia A+ ,you must become a jack of all trades I suggest you gather more knowledge here's a start

Computer Networking: Read,study, and youtube subjects on networking+,ccnet(ccna1). if you are studying for the network+, also study material based on the ccnet as well. Because studying the ccnet and networking+ plus books will teach you sub-netting and somewhat over prepare you for the network+. Also download Packet Tracer, this will teach the basic Cisco commands and even in some cases setup a Cisco switch and router in a virtual environment.

Microsoft: Download Virtual Box,Vmware, and Microsoft Virtual-PC and then play with the trial versions of Windos 7,8, Server 2003, 2008,and 2012.
    You can get trial versions at technet.microsoft.com plus as an added bonus they have virtual-labs specifically for server 2012. Also join microsoftvirtualacademy.com

Linuxownload Ubuntu,Opensuse, and Fedora master these operating systems are free to master.

Also if you get down own yourself and discouraged then listen to Eric-Thomas the Hiphop Preacher which will keep you motivated and on the grind.
    Secrets to success Pt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsm-QbN9r8

WORK WHILE YOU WAIT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hke-XzpXX3o

TGIM S7 EP4 - Work While Working (& Audiobook Preview)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmJEjjtpOA

He has some very strong motivational principals. Me myself I get amped-up off this guy its like going to church. He reminds of Tony Robinson, but better.
    The best place to seek IT jobs with temp agencies for long term contracts are
    1.teksystems
    2.manpower technical
    3.cdi coporation
    4.robert half
    5.MicroCenter VS gEEKSQUAD

favorite techtalk sites
    Podnutz.COM
    .www.technibble.com