Ccent > ccna ?

bambi401bambi401 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new to the Network side of things, I mainly dealt with Helpdesk positions and a little bit of desktop support.

My question is would it be easier to just jump into the CCNA and try taking the 200-120 CCNA exam or would it be a lot easier to understand,grasp, and build a stronger foundation taking the CCENT 100-101 ICND1 ?

Comments

• ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You are answering your own question. Choose the method that is most conducive to your study habits, time frame, and ability to learn and retain material.

It comes down to you knowing what option sounds best for you and doing that method... you end up with an extra cert going 2 steps, but other than that...it boils down to your confidence level and ability to grasp the material. If you want to move in chunks.
  • bambi401bambi401 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I figured as much, just though it would save a little $ just taking the CCNA , but not really understanding the material would just be a backtrack in my mind. Do you know of any good up-to-date books for the CCENT ?
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Book:
    CCNA (100-101 and 200-101) from Todd Lammle
    CCENT (100-101) from Wendell Odom
    CCNA (200-101) from Wendell Odom

Videos:
    CBT Nuggets with Keith Barker
    Udemy with Chris Bryant

Virtual Lab:
    GNS3 (Routers)
    Packet Tracer (Switches) if you are a Cisco Academy student
    Thank you!
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    Book:
    CCNA (100-101 and 200-101) from Todd Lammle
    CCENT (100-101) from Wendell Odom
    CCNA (200-101) from Wendell Odom

Videos:
    CBT Nuggets with Keith Barker
    Udemy with Chris Bryant

Virtual Lab:
    GNS3 (Routers)
    Packet Tracer (Switches) if you are a Cisco Academy student
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I took the one test route. You have to learn it all regardless unless you plan on cramming enough in just to pass a test and moving on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you plan to get both Odom books for ICDN1 and 2, you might as well get the whole library which comes with the CCNA Simulator Labs.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the two exam path. Depends on how strong you are in networking. If you are getting your feet wet, the two exam path may be better. It was for me. YMMV. The cost savings is marginal for the exams themselves, study material may be a different story.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I took the one test route.

Really it depends the way you want to be tested:
    Take 2 tests and get more information about specific topics on per test.
    Take 1 test and memorize more and take less questions per topic but have to remember it all in 1 shot rather than 2
    Yeah, i'm just starting to dabble with networking just wanted to get some input on the paths to take , got a lot of info out of this so thanks a bunch.
    I took the one test route. You have to learn it all regardless unless you plan on cramming enough in just to pass a test and moving on.
    Honestly I was thinking the same thing , I feel like the two exam path would be more appropriate for my situation. Guess I'll be on here a lot getting some tips/examples. Thanks for the insight.
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I took the two exam path. Depends on how strong you are in networking. If you are getting your feet wet, the two exam path may be better. It was for me. YMMV. The cost savings is marginal for the exams themselves, study material may be a different story.
    Amazon should have some deals or do you have a specific site ?
    koz24 wrote: »
    If you plan to get both Odom books for ICDN1 and 2, you might as well get the whole library which comes with the CCNA Simulator Labs.
    I've tried looking into the one test path but after reading through some posts, feedback, and looking into the material I would rather understand the information vs memorizing.
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I took the one test route.

Really it depends the way you want to be tested:
    Take 2 tests and get more information about specific topics on per test.
    Take 1 test and memorize more and take less questions per topic but have to remember it all in 1 shot rather than 2