Options

Update on OPM hack

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hack of security clearance system affected 21.5 million people, federal authorities say - The Washington Post

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]21.5 million people, all SF86 since 2000, and 1.1 million fingerprints. Wonder if they are going to issue new fingers, along with credit monitoring? Because, you know, they "take security seriously" and all that.[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice, numbers are going up! Actually, it was predictable, numbers in almost any breach out there tend to grow over time.

Fortunately, I never been with govt, so I'm not affected
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I already gone ahead and decided to replace my prints at my own cost but thanks for the update.

- b/eads
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    The amount of incompetence on OPM's part is infuriating. Three years of credit monitoring is a joke....our PII and more is going to be out there forever. Not to mention the lack of response from the government on this issue.

Another joke:

"If the United States blurs the line between economic spying and foreign intelligence spying, “we risk undermining the fight against economic theft.” The government has already begun taking steps to mitigate the damage in the intelligence and counterintelligence arena, Schiff said. “We’re going to be doing that for years, in terms of the whole range of steps that we’ll have to take to protect our people and our sources and methods.”

There is nothing the government can do to reverse or mitigate the damage that has been done. The Chinese have everything they need to target cleared employees for recruitment, blackmail, or malware attacks. They may not have gotten classified and/or sensitive information yet, but now the opportunities are even more ripe than before.
  • Options
    akatsuki91akatsuki91 Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All my employer did was extend credit monitoring that we already had from another issue. Now my clearance is delayed by even more months.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Something tells me there will be lawsuits inbound soon.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Just the tip of the iceberg. I'll bet there is a future or possibly current plan to target DoD employees/sub-contractors for the NSA. Wait until the Chinese ex filtrate the data collected from every American in the US.
  • Options
    GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I onboarded (again) with the feds in November. I was immediately involved in the Anthem breach. Then a few months later the OPM breach occurred, and since I've worked as active duty military, GS, and contractor for the last 8 years my information was breached again. icon_lol.gif

I already had my credit reports frozen because of the Anthem breach, so I just added the OPM credit monitoring to it. Glad I already bought a house this year and don't have any plans to actually use my credit.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At this rate most Americans will have a lifetime of credit monitoring, as soon as one credit monitoring approaches it's halfway mark another company offers it for a new breach.
  • Options
    rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the most concerning thing for me is that it's not just my information that was compromised, it was everyone in my family's information that I had to add to my SF-86 during re-investigation. Now they are susceptible even though they never applied for a security clearance. Also, the lastest FAQ my Dept. sent out stated that most of the investigator notes were compromised as well, and who knows what notes were added to anyone's file that could say or have any kind of PII included.