Options

Advice, Advice, Advice

Mark096Mark096 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 19 years old and am going to attend my local community college's CCNA program. I've been tinkering with computers since I was able to walk, and my goal is to become a network engineer. I know the CCNA is a stepping stolen to the higher level certs like CCNP and I will go for that but first I need experience of course. So after I get my CCNA, what should I do?

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mark,
    This is a good move! Network engineering is a very, very rewarding field if you are determined to excel in it. You already are on the right track. Start your CCNA. Start anywhere, whether it's a community college of after-work courses. It will be a bit difficult in the beginning. That's completely normal.
    Once you finish the CCNA program, book the exam and spend some time reviewing the material. After you pass the exam, we will talk about CCNP :)
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CCNA, then job first. You'll have to start at the bottom like most (yes this might be Geek Squad), and work your way into a NA role. Might take you a few years, so keep that in mind. Once you have a little exp. under your belt with that, then go for more.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    CCNA, then job first. You'll have to start at the bottom like most (yes this might be Geek Squad), and work your way into a NA role. Might take you a few years, so keep that in mind. Once you have a little exp. under your belt with that, then go for more.

GeekSquad makes sense for someone with A+, but I feel like its a waste for someone with a CCNA. Try to get an entry level position at a NOC.
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're going to a CC, see if they have internship opportunities. I did an internship at a NOC for a large tech comapny and they didn't need a cert from me to join. The great thing about internships is you get to learn on the job on what it takes to be a network engineer and it counts as professional experience on your resume. It certainly made it easy for me to study for the CCNA since they hammered the networking conecepts into my head.
  • Options
    Mark096Mark096 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice! I'll certainly look into the internship opportunities that my college offers, which I'm almost sure that it does because my friend was able to get one while attending the same school. I do agree that with a CCNA the Geek Squad is a bit of a waste, more like help desk and entry level NOC. I've done my research and talked to a few people who have pursued the same career path and I know I have to start at the bottom, but everyone has to start somewhere and im dedicated.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for your ccnp and try to finish a degree.
  • Options
    thatguyftwthatguyftw Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If possible, try to get an internship -- helpdesk/NOC -- while studying for the CCNA.
    Seeking a career change from International Development to Network Engineering
    Current goals: Security+ [], CCENT [], CCNA, [], CCNA: Security []