Failed CCNA R/S with 766

cyber_fan_montereycyber_fan_monterey Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

I just failed CCNA with 766 out of 825. Overall that was such a stressful test. I always waited for more down to earth CCNA questions. What happened to this exam?

I took Boson tests before CCNA and felt they would be pretty close to real exam questions. Now that I see they are from different worlds I will fill up the claim form for Boson and ask my $100 back because literally real exam was much harder.

Another thing is that real exam simulator got stuck. I wasted nearly 15 minutes on that damn question.

I may have underestimate the difficulty of CCNA after passing CISSP and CEH but it was out of question pretty deep detailed test. I wonder what they ask in CCNP even in CCIE.

Here is my study materials:

CCNA in 60 days (Paul Browning) - Honestly I don't feel this book is good enough for CCNA.
Boson
2 years of experience with Cisco networking
MSc in Information Technology Management
Focus in IT Security

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That too bad you didn't pass the test but the part of the test they don't tell you about is time management. Good luck on the next one.
  • Stevecb06Stevecb06 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tough break man. But honestly, I think you did pretty well for the amount of study materials you used. I bet if you grabbed a more thorough book and maybe a good video series you would ace it on the next run. Good luck.
  • uuuugeshforuuuuugeshforu Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bet you will succeed in the next attempt.Keep Practicing and don't give up. My wishes are with you :)
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I feel your pain bro, time management was the kicker for me as-well. When I got rushed is when I'm sure I made mistakes....
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    CCNA in 60 days (Paul Browning) - Honestly I don't feel this book is good enough for CCNA.
    Boson

Even i thought of getting this book, but there are clear reviews stating that that book is no where close to what you expect in actual test. I would suggest Chris Bryant videos on Udemy which is just 10 $ on sale and Todd Lammle's Book. Since you have some previous experience with certifications i say go with Wendell Odom's book if you want more knowledge.

Sorry to hear your failed, I personally think it depends on the source you used to prepare and all the best for you next attempt .I am going to take my exam pretty soon. How many months did you prepare?
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, that was a good attempt I'd say, barely passed myself, 847... I learned that we can't rely on the OCG anymore, I'd suggest reading up on the topics covered in the exam in CCNP materials, that's what I am doing after horribly failing CCNA:Sec.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I second the Lammle suggestion earlier in the thread. The CCNA book in 60 days has some overblown reviews based on how the author got most of the 5 star reviews.

Also check out Chris Bryant's stuff on amazon, the ebooks can be had for 5 bucks each ICND1/ICND2 and they are good for review. Not a huge amount of extra stuff in there. Perfect for cramming a topic.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's the same score I got when I took the composite, lol.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    makes me wonder if I should purchase Boson practice exams for ccent..
    other discussions say the boson practice exams are tougher than the real exam...
    now I am confused..
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    I am sorry to hear that you failed man! I think a little more study maybe a regular text like Lammle's book and some videos like Chris Bryant might help. That is what I am working through now for CCENT. Good luck on the next try, you got this next time!!
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I used CBT Nuggets, OCG, and the simulator from the OCG when I passed. There is no question that Cisco exams are difficult.
  • cyber_fan_montereycyber_fan_monterey Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for the great comments and advices. I will beat it the next time.
    MSc in Information Technology Management
    Focus in IT Security
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the Boson, at least that is how it was for me with ICND2. I thought it did great with the first exam so I bought it for the second and was disappointed. I will second Chris Bryant, his videos are pretty good. You will get it next time for sure.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I understand some folks can't afford it, but i buy several books because you'll always find a nugget or two in one that the others don't cover. As for Browning, his book is sometimes way over the top with material that is outside of CCNA. But I still use it. I have Lammle, Graziani, Valentine-Barker, Browning, Odom, Bryant maybe somebody else. I'm dont studying. Just have to get off my lazy as* and go ace ICND2
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed my CCNA the first go round too and decided to augment my study materials with the Boson practice tests. After paying for the Boson ExSIM practice tests, the areas it showed I needed work on seemed to mirror the topic areas I was weak in for the actual test. It has given me a way to better focus my studies to deep dive into my weak areas. I also got some good ideas for more complicated labs based of the actual test questions. Time management is a big piece of the overall puzzle. Another thing that got me was the fact that all answers are final.

Good Luck with the retake.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear bout the fail man that sucks. Good luck with the retake though, you've got this dude!
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Don't let it get you down. Just keep studying bro. i'm sure you will get it next time. you already know what the exam is like so that counts for alot.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    Keep at it bro, I failed the exam too. I underestimated how hard it was too. I read read Odom's book and been supplementing chapters that still have doubt with glazing over Todd's book. Been doing the Boson simlets in between.
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for Lammle books. Plus CBT Nuggets, and you need a way to lab. Good luck!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • ksmith0001ksmith0001 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey do anyone know what does noncontiguous support and contiguous means?
    Persistence will pay off and it will make it worth more to you once you do pass. It will be the greatest feeling ever.
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Another person that feels the same as I do about Boson. I can ace all three boson exams and it does not prepare you for ICND2. I'm also seeing others that feel the same. I love Boson, but I wish they had more competition.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed with a 788 and the three resources I uses were Todd's book, CBTNuggets videos, and my lab 2 layer 3 sw and one old 2900 router. What got me is that I feel that I moved to fast through Todd's book. I had to go back slow down take better notes and do all of the practice after every chapter. I have know doubt that I will nail the test next time.

Oh and what got me on my exam was time management, I spent 20-30 on the sim and I ran out of time. I had 10+ questions left with 4 min to go. GL to all!
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson