What job can I get?

musicjunkiemusicjunkie Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just graduated with an IT degree and have 2 certifications- Network + and A+. I'm currently doing a help desk internship at a Managed services provider and will have about 6 months of experience. I'm currently in the NYC/LI area, should I apply for help desk level one or level two?

There is also a big possibility that my current intern company will offer me a job at the end but I want to keep my options open.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just graduated with an IT degree and have 2 certifications- Network + and A+. I'm currently doing a help desk internship at a Managed services provider and will have about 6 months of experience. I'm currently in the NYC/LI area, should I apply for help desk level one or level two?

There is also a big possibility that my current intern company will offer me a job at the end but I want to keep my options open.

Ask yourself what do you want to be doing in 10-15 years and get the skills and experience to position yourself for the future.

If you just want a job, you can do pretty much whatever the hiring managers can offer you.
  • musicjunkiemusicjunkie Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Ask yourself what do you want to be doing in 10-15 years and get the skills and experience to position yourself for the future.

If you just want a job, you can do pretty much whatever the hiring managers can offer you.

I would eventually like to specialize in storage or security, but I know that will take some time. I definitely need help desk technician experience first, then I can branch out.
    I would eventually like to specialize in storage or security, but I know that will take some time. I definitely need help desk technician experience first, then I can branch out.

Well with your current certifications and the 6 months experience as a Helpdesk intern I'm sure you could be offered the job or find another position. LI is a tricky area for jobs though.
    I'm mostly applying to ones in NYC since I might eventually live there. I would like more insight from other users :)
    I'm mostly applying to ones in NYC since I might eventually live there. I would like more insight from other users :)

NYC is too expensive to be living on a Helpdesk salary, unless you do crazy hours of OT or get a few roomates.
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    NYC is too expensive to be living on a Helpdesk salary, unless you do crazy hours of OT or get a few roomates.

That's the plan.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If they extend the offer make sure to negotiate your salary. Go out on the web and look at strategies etc. Did you know that over 40% of employees don't negotiate at all! icon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif ***I saw this on a youtube video (Assuming it's somewhat real)

With that said, if you like the MSP you work for and they are willing to bump you up and even give another title / role then I would consider that.

To your initial question you could take on a bunch of different jobs.

Project Coordinator
    Business Analyst
    System Administrator
    Field Technician
    Network Operation Tech
    Junior Security Analyst
    Access Control

You can do a lot of things including development if you feel you have the skills. My point is to find what you like and start to work towards that, starting today.
    N2IT wrote: »
    If they extend the offer make sure to negotiate your salary. Go out on the web and look at strategies etc. Did you know that over 40% of employees don't negotiate at all! icon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif ***I saw this on a youtube video (Assuming it's somewhat real)

With that said, if you like the MSP you work for and they are willing to bump you up and even give another title / role then I would consider that.

To your initial question you could take on a bunch of different jobs.

Project Coordinator
    Business Analyst
    System Administrator
    Field Technician
    Network Operation Tech
    Junior Security Analyst
    Access Control

You can do a lot of things including development if you feel you have the skills. My point is to find what you like and start to work towards that, starting today.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the MSP I'm currently interning at, but I'll take what I can get.
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to give this advice under the assumption that you're willing to move.

If I were you, I'd go to the source. Look at the big players in storage and security and try to get a job working for them as low level tech support. Storage is fairly easy to break into because so much of it is proprietary that they're really just looking for a bachelors and the ability to learn.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    Pleasant Grove New Graduate & Internship jobs - Tech Support Engineer I\Pleasant Grove UT at EMC

Hope this kind've points you in the right direction.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
    aderon wrote: »
    I'm going to give this advice under the assumption that you're willing to move.

If I were you, I'd go to the source. Look at the big players in storage and security and try to get a job working for them as low level tech support. Storage is fairly easy to break into because so much of it is proprietary that they're really just looking for a bachelors and the ability to learn.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    Pleasant Grove New Graduate & Internship jobs - Tech Support Engineer I\Pleasant Grove UT at EMC

Hope this kind've points you in the right direction.

Should i work on the storage+ cert next?
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it would at least show initiative and interest in the field. Generally though, most people in storage go for the vendor specific certifications. NCSA for NetApp and EMCISA for EMC are some examples.

When deciding which to pursue, keep in mind EMC has highest market share and also NetApp has been struggling financially as of late. On the flip side though, NetApp has been in top 10 best IT companies (Storage or otherwise) to work for, for several years now. Also, access to study materials might influence your decision. Storage doesn't have the popularity of other specializations such as networking, security, etc and it's difficult to find books to study from. I will mention that NetApp's online learning center is very very good though and has tons of CBT-style learning programs.

This is somewhat oudated (2-3 years old), but should give somewhat of an idea of the various companies you can look to work for as tech support to start.
    The numbers are in: EMC still ruling storage LIKE A BOSS

From there, pretty much the skys the limit. There's tons of companies with storage systems and not too many people that understand them well. Anyways, good luck!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
    bumpity bump bump