Options

Question from a student regarding certifications

ExiExi Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I'm currently in my second year in college and going to my third year now. I'm studying "application development" with side courses in networking. Because I've been a bad student my first year I wasn't allowed to join in on all courses of my second year, luckely I've gained some more willpower and I passed all my exams now. Basically what this means is that I'll have to do my bachelor in 4 years instead of 3. This gives me approximately half a year of free time in which I'd very much like to do a certification or even 2 because I'm not fond of sitting on my ass for 6 months.

So here's my question, for someone such as me who has about 2 years of basic knowledge of networking concepts, which certification do you suggest me to take? I'd like to get something that is worthy for a resume and is going to be useful for the near future. I've mostly been thinking about taking CCNA given the fact that Cisco systems are widely used in the businesses these days, but I'd love to hear your insights.

Some more info on what I did at college:
- Installing & configuring Windows Server 2012 (70-410), I had this entire book as a course, but because my school is not an official instance me passing this exam didn't mean I actually passed it for the certification.
- Computer networking: a top-down approach (by James F. Kurose), basically the entire book and been using all the concepts in there for my other courses during 2 years.
- (quite basic) Linux scripting & general commands etc.
- Linux networking courses (samba, apache, subnetting, and much more)
- Intermediate knowledge of .NET, java, javascript, html & css, xml, SQL, ... . I don't like programming that much though.

Comments

• Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    CCNA and Linux+ would greatly complement your college courses for what I see.

Biggest advice I can give someone in college... get good grades, do internships, do research, do freelance work, even if its all for free! Get into leadership stuff, do community service. Get exposure and experience, even if it's unpaid. Most people who Ive know who are like that, had a solid job offer before graduating.

Cheers
    meh
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1 for internships. Once they see you have experience in a corporate IT environment, finding a job is easier than just having certs and a degree. I just graduated last May and found an entry level helpdesk position 3 weeks after graduation, the only IT experience I have were from my previous internships. It's a good starting point while I review for my CCNA.