Options

First Steps into the security cert world

klarko.netsecklarko.netsec Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm very interested in the network security field however due to mathematic difficulties in discrete/calculus (roughly 12 credits short) I was unable to obtain my BS degree so far and am looking to get my first cert in the mean time. At the moment I am not focusing on college, I will get my degree down the road if necessary.

Currently working part time as computer admin for my 3rd summer so I have free time to grab a cert or two. Proficient in python and moderate in C++. Knowledge in most IT Securities such as Firewalls/IDS&IPS/basic penetration testing and Risk Assessments.

Have books for Certified Ethical Hacker and so far that's been the most interesting as its very similar to my course work but I'm not sure of the usefulness as a first cert. Also have Cisco Official CCNA guide book from 2012. Sometimes these books just seem like bland textbooks and I lose focus, I learn much better just by doing but I haven't tried any online classes or similar things.

Since I have no degree yet I am looking to round myself into a much better job candidate. If I could get a recommendation on possibly another programming language to pick up that would be very helpful as well. I honestly have no idea what first cert to get because of all the different once between CCNET/CCENT/Net+ among others. End game I would like to be a penetration tester, but I know that is a long way off.

Sorry this post was kind of all over the place, I don't want to bother you guys with a book length essay haha. Thanks for reading and any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    rolando3321rolando3321 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you 12 credits shy from your bachelors? I would strongly encourage you to finish your degree, especially if it is Computer Science related. Over the last few years I have seen a great increase in the req of having a bachelors to be hired. My company HAD the right guy for the job, but one day said that this position now requires a bachelors degree. They have not found someone to do this position....so the great debate of experience vs. school continues. I would just protect yourself and finish it.

As for studying for exams, they can become blah after reading and reading, but it is just a hurdle that you have to over come. The more real life experience you have, the easier it will become to retaining that knowledge. I personally took the Network+ which those concepts helped me with the Security+. Personally, studying and passing these certs have helped me develop/learn at a faster rate when I finally got into a IT position.