Options

Interface Default Delay

showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've tried to google 'Interface Default Delay', but in vain. Please, help me with it.

Comments

• Options
    AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What are we talking about? Need more contest.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Also, do a search of the brand you and working with then add the '+' sign. Find out more information that way.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    never heard of it
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It depends of negotiated speed of the interface.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    I saw a table where hardware types with default delays next to it in a picture. I tried to google by different key words, but couldn't.
  • Options
    Also, do a search of the brand you and working with then add the '+' sign. Find out more information that way.

I didn't get you well.

I was searching for interface default delay, and added plus sign, but nothing happened.
  • Options
    What are we talking about? Need more contest.

I'm talking about eigrp and which interface default delay is used by eigrp in the formula.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    showint wrote: »
    I'm talking about eigrp and which interface default delay is used by eigrp in the formula.

The delay of a interface is directly associated with the bandwidth of the interface. a 100 Mbit/s interface would have a delay of 100 microseconds, a 1 Gbit/s interface would have a delay of 10 microseconds. This is just a calculation of how long it would take a packet to move from one end of a cable to another. The actual numbers that EIGRP would use are just theoretical numbers and aren't actually calculated by the router. You can modify these values if you want to, but any modifications won't actually affect the operation of the interface, as bandwidth and delay on a cisco interface only affect routing protocols, and not how fast data is actually moved across a link. The clockrate is what determines how fast information can move across any physical link.

Hope this helps with your question.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    10g interface (Nexus 7k):
    MTU 9216 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec

1g interface (6500):
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

100mb interface (same 6500):
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec

edit: got these info from live production devices.