Creating a public IT lab environment

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm trying to figure out the best way to create an online/public lab environment for recruiting testing. The goal is to have a server that candidates can log in to, and solve a series a issues to prove competency. This would be used as part of my companies recruiting process. I don't know the best way to do this, and am looking for other opinions.

One thought would be:
-Create a Windows Remote Desktop Server with some lcoked down GPO's
-Install deepfreeze
-Configure VM's using Hyper-V (each VM could be a different lab exercise)
-When candidates apply, they would receive login instructions & lab exercise instructions

Things I'm trying to figure out:
-Is this a good way to do this?
-Ideas for evaluating candidates, e.g. do I have them record their session? Seems cumbersome and prone to error
-Needs to be scalable so that I can have 100+ candidates go through the exercise. The above solution does not seem scalable.
-Is there specific software that can assist with this?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you want VMware Horizon View :D
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    VPN in to a lab network sitting on VMware esxi, then depending on what you need from them they can use their own machine or you can have them remote desktop to one of yours. Easy enough to set up, can run as many VM's as you can configure with up to 32GB of RAM for the free version of esxi. You could theoretically set up unlimited VM's with a hard drive that can support it and only turn on the one's you need at the time for the interview, no consuming much RAM at all.

As for the test, set up questions that can only be answered by performing a task. If you've ever taken one of the eLearnSecurity courses their tests are similar and I've been through interviews just like that. You can have multiple choice questions like they do for instant grading on a web form, or just leave blanks and have it submit to you for you to look over.