Options

I need advice about my future...

music_in_me227music_in_me227 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello! I'm 20-year-old. I used to study software and internet technologies in university but I failed. So right now I have to decide how to continue my education and I'm not quite sure what exactly should I do. I know there are many online courses about ethical hacking for example, both free and paid. However there are several things which are unclear to me. For example can I take a look at free online courses, study by myself and then take a paid exam? Will this be enough for me to find a job? How can I know which certifications are best ??? The other thing I am wondering is: is it better for me to take a good certificate in a definite it sphere or repeat the semester I couldn't take and spend the next 4 years in learning common stuff at a small university? /if the diploma at uni is better?/

I really need your advice about that. I feel as if my whole future depends on this and I'm not enough informated.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First off, you haven't failed until you quit trying. Second, persevere and retake your classes. Anything doing is worth doing right. A degree is not a golden ticket in this industry and many on this forum are successful without one. However, having a degree isn't going to hurt you.

You are young and just starting out so I implore you to master the basic fundamentals of IT. Everything else you ever do in IT will be built of the foundation you build now so learn basic operations of computers, learn basic networking, learn troubleshooting skills. Don't get caught up in the glamorous jobs like "Ethical Hacker" and "Pen-Tester." You have to have a goal of where you want to be and then figure out the steps to get from here to there but don't think you get to start out "there" without doing all the grunt work that goes along with it.

Regards,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You only have to complete Uni once. Then you will have it forever.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I failed Algorithms and Complexity one time, dropped it the second time. I took all my other classes and left that for last. I past it the 3rd time and got my degree. So don't stress to much, you are not the first or last to fail a course or a semester. From failure you learn things too, you just have to work harder now and study more. You are only 20 years old man, you have so many years ahead of you. Quitting now you will only do a disservice to your self.
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are still very young and if paying your tuition isn't an issue for you, continue with your university education and get that degree. Getting a job without a degree is possible but is definitely easier when you have it. Also there will come a point in your career when you really wish you stuck it out and finished that degree.
    As far as certifications are concerned, if you do not have any IT related work experience, many people will suggest starting with CompTIA triad (A+, Network+, Security+). Those are good for securing entry level jobs (Technician/Help Desk). I will add that studying and passing certification exams are difficult if you are not motivated and don't do well it self-directed setting.
    Take your time and read various posts in TE. It'll give you a lot of insights and ideas about what to pursue in your career. Pick a path and stick with it.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]