Options

Job trying to make you get a cert. No where in my contract does it say it's a req

InfoTech92InfoTech92 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

So, I've been trying to figure out what I wanna focus on. I'd like to do a VCA. My boss keeps trying to get me to get an MTA. If I'm going to do anything, it could be an MCSA. I'm not interested in an MTA to be honest. I'd rather just take it a step further.

How do you tell your boss NOOOOOOOO in a nice way without getting fired. I don't wanna be force to do an MTA, there's no point to me.

Comments

• Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Rather than tell him no to the MTA tell him, I believe I can go for this more advanced certification. See if he bites.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you talked with your boss about your future and what you want to do? It always good to make a career path and try to involve your manager so you both have a plan for you to excel. Doesn't sound like you guys are the same page and have different plans for you.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you tell him that you wanted a better cert? If so and he's still pushing for the MTA then I guess I'd do it. You can schedule it for next week and with a little studying I bet you'll pass the operating systems one.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Reading through some of your recent posts I get the idea your boss probably thinks you are getting a little ahead of yourself. I'd venture a guess the sentiment is to master what you are doing now before trying to jump to the next step.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Yeah, I told him I wanted a better cert. He's still saying to just do the MTA. He may be thinking I'm getting ahead of myself, but I don't care. I bust my a** everyday studying, labs on the weekends, always trying to get involved. It's like he wants me to go at his pace. He also could care less what I want in my career path. All's he cares about is what's good for his department. I'm not planning on staying in this department forever.

It's annoys me because I got promised so much stuff coming in here... and it's not happening.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Did you tell him that you wanted a better cert? If so and he's still pushing for the MTA then I guess I'd do it. You can schedule it for next week and with a little studying I bet you'll pass the operating systems one.

Operating system one is retired.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    InfoTech92 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Yeah, I told him I wanted a better cert. He's still saying to just do the MTA. He may be thinking I'm getting ahead of myself, but I don't care. I bust my a** everyday studying, labs on the weekends, always trying to get involved. It's like he wants me to go at his pace. He also could care less what I want in my career path. All's he cares about is what's good for his department. I'm not planning on staying in this department forever.

It's annoys me because I got promised so much stuff coming in here... and it's not happening.

How long have you been there?
  • Options
    Ah I didn't know that...Either way those exams aren't difficult. You shouldn't have to study very long. Yes, it's frustrating I completely understand, but I'd probably just do it unless you plan on leaving soon.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Hey guys,

All's he cares about is what's good for his department. I'm not planning on staying in this department forever.

Couple of quick things no to push buttons. Nothing is stopping you from getting the MCSA on your own. You dont need work to send you to do it. If he wants you to get your MTA then just do it and make him happy.

Of course he cares about is what is good for his department. That is his job. As you previously stated he thinks you are getting ahead of yourself. Instead of going all "DAMN THE MAN SAVE THE EMPIRE" on this why don't you take the MTA to make him happy then inquire about pursuing something harder like the MCSA. Then you can tell him. "I did this, it wasn't really great challenge and was wondering if something like this would be a better benefit to the company." Present it to him and try to show the value in it.

Also how long have you been there where all these promises aren't being met? Have you been there 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?
  • Options
    sudo45sudo45 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My Job also wanted me to do the MTA track before progressing to anything else. You know what I did? I knock them all out in a month (super easy exams). Afterwards, my job paid for my CCNA training among other certifications. You will spend more time complaining about it than it takes to pass all the exams. Afterwards you can ask for additional training. In the end of the day it is the company's dime, else, just self-study.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    . All's he cares about is what's good for his department.

Exactly! Just how is supposed to be! Do you work for him and his department? Then whats the issue? He's not there to make you CEO, he's there to get his duties done. Either get the Cert or dont (and attain to consequences).
    If my boss told me.. ok here it is, you need to get Server+, I would make sure they pay for it and make sure studying @ work during down time is ok and I would get it, that's it.

Another thing is, is the promised stuff written in the contract? No? Then assume it will not happen!
    Negotiate certs, benefits, etc with INK. If it's written, then take the MTA, so he sees youre in good spirits and sit down and talk to him about what was promised.
    meh
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Well wait, who's paying for the exam? If you're paying, then it doesn't matter what he wants. If he's paying then suck it up, buttercup. :D

My work paid for me to get my VCP even though I had no interest in getting it. But because I was on the team that managed the infrastructure, they wanted me to have it. So I do.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Exactly! Just how is supposed to be! Do you work for him and his department? Then whats the issue? He's not there to make you CEO, he's there to get his duties done. Either get the Cert or dont (and attain to consequences).
    If my boss told me.. ok here it is, you need to get Server+, I would make sure they pay for it and make sure studying @ work during down time is ok and I would get it, that's it.

Another thing is, is the promised stuff written in the contract? No? Then assume it will not happen!
    Negotiate certs, benefits, etc with INK. If it's written, then take the MTA, so he sees youre in good spirits and sit down and talk to him about what was promised.

I don't wanna be CEO...

If that's the case, why get the MTA? It's not put in INK that I need it.
  • Options
    sudo45 wrote: »
    My Job also wanted me to do the MTA track before progressing to anything else. You know what I did? I knock them all out in a month (super easy exams). Afterwards, my job paid for my CCNA training among other certifications. You will spend more time complaining about it than it takes to pass all the exams. Afterwards you can ask for additional training. In the end of the day it is the company's dime, else, just self-study.

I'm not spending time complaining about it. I'm spending time focusing on more interesting/harder material.
  • Options
    I'm all for the "me first" attitude. They certainly aren't going to place your interests first above all either. You do have to realize it's a give and take relationship though. You give them what they want if you want things in return. As goatama pointed out, show them what you got. Knock 'em out and then see where you stand. If they still aren't looking out for your career development then polish up the resume and find someone that will.
  • Options
    I'm all for the "me first" attitude. They certainly aren't going to place your interests first above all either. You do have to realize it's a give and take relationship though. You give them what they want if you want things in return. As goatama pointed out, show them what you got. Knock 'em out and then see where you stand. If they still aren't looking out for your career development then polish up the resume and find someone that will.

Do you guys think I'm too eager? Idk, I just want to learn. I wanna do new, cool, interesting things. I don't wanna be that guy 4 years down the road in help-desk who doesn't know sh*t. I just wanna be successful, and now I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you guys think I'm too eager? Idk, I just want to learn. I wanna do new, cool, interesting things. I don't wanna be that guy 4 years down the road in help-desk who doesn't know sh*t. I just wanna be successful, and now I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Again, how long have you been there?
  • Options
    jrcarr2jrcarr2 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□

How long have you worked there?

Are they paying for the MTA Cert?

Where do you want to go?

Keep in mind, things don't always happen over night.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

If my employer told me they wanted me to get an MTA I would probably get it. It doesn't sound like those take much time. Prove to them you can pass a small test they want first, and then they can pay for you more advance ones you want later. Seems like a fair trade to me. Like I said in a different thread, my employer won't help/pay for any of my certs right now so I consider you lucky they even are showing interest in you to even get your MTA.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Is isn't the idea of being too eager. You have the right drive you just need to learn compromise to meet their side as well as yours.
  • Options

I don't know enough about you to say that, but it does seem like your employer might feel that way. Nothing wrong with being eager, but you do have to realize you are being paid to do a job. That is first and foremost what needs to happen. Once you deliver that to them they should also deliver to you in the form of career advancement.
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do the MTA get it out of the way, then ask to train/test on the more advanced cert. If you are familiar with the material it should be no problem, and you've made your boss happy.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I think being eager is good. With a desire to learn and study you'll do great things for yourself and future employers. However, what sticks out to me here is a sense of entitlement. If it isn't written in ink then the employer doesn't owe you anything. I'm not sure why you're upset that your manager puts the department first. If it's for profit then they need to make money, and to pay you. If it's not for profit then there is a higher priority then your career progression. You will after all leave when your skillset exceeds the job. From an employee's perspective, if you're valuable then it should be in their interest to keep you happy with career progression and work/life balance. It just isn't placed higher than profit. In IT if you only have a couple years of experience then you're a dime a dozen. That's just how it is. But your eagerness will help you distinguish yourself from the pack through experience, certs and education. Then you'll be able to fairly raise your expectations. To get there you'll have to do a lot on your own time and money. I'm also curious how long you've been there? If under a year and haven't hit an annual review then I don't think you should be complaining this aggressively yet, unless it was written in your offer letter or similar document.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    dou2ble wrote: »
    I think being eager is good. With a desire to learn and study you'll do great things for yourself and future employers. However, what sticks out to me here is a sense of entitlement. If it isn't written in ink then the employer doesn't owe you anything. I'm not sure why you're upset that your manager puts the department first. If it's for profit then they need to make money, and to pay you. If it's not for profit then there is a higher priority then your career progression. You will after all leave when your skillset exceeds the job. From an employee's perspective, if you're valuable then it should be in their interest to keep you happy with career progression and work/life balance. It just isn't placed higher than profit. In IT if you only have a couple years of experience then you're a dime a dozen. That's just how it is. But your eagerness will help you distinguish yourself from the pack through experience, certs and education. Then you'll be able to fairly raise your expectations. To get there you'll have to do a lot on your own time and money. I'm also curious how long you've been there? If under a year and haven't hit an annual review then I don't think you should be complaining this aggressively yet, unless it was written in your offer letter or similar document.

I wouldn't exactly say a dime a dozen because there's people with more years than me that don't know half of what I do. I'm the only one who actually studies and labs outside of work.

I guess judging by what everyone said, I should chill out. I'll definitely try and get as many opinions on this as possible. It seems like I received some solid advice here though.

Thanks everyone,
    Infotech92
  • Options
    Good luck with the MTA. You'll bang it out pretty quickly. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What if he doesn't pass? Then his boss will be like "i told you, you were not ready for mcsa"
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If he doesn't pass he probably isn't ready for the mcsa. Just means more study, doesn't mean it was a bad idea.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Still waiting for someone to explain what's an MTA...icon_silent.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Still waiting for someone to explain what's an MTA...icon_silent.gif

Mandatory Time Away ;)
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Must Take Anyway, in this case. It will probably give you some leverage later on within the company.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)