Options

Looking for advice for cyber security certification path

BJTBJT Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me decide what would be a good path into a cyber security field. I'll give you a bit of background of myself first. I started off getting a Diploma in Business Computing at a tertiary institute, and then later getting a job at the same institute supporting a Windows desktop environment in 1999. A couple of years later I moved up to supporting their Novell server environment and also obtained my CNE.

I then contracted for a range of support roles within 3rd line with such things as Windows Server, VMWare, various backups, exchange, patch management, BAU, server hardware etc etc. and have about 12 years total experience in a support role. I then moved to the UK and decided to leave I.T. completely as I was bored of BAU/break/fix type work, and these last 3 years have been doing something totally unrelated. I've now decided to go back to I.T. after realizing I don't enjoy the change, but would like to get into a cyber security field. I never tried to get any other qualifications as I always had a job, so am quite behind.

What would be a good certification route to get into this? I also feel quite rusty with I.T. but learning a new field should help keep my interest.

Comments

• Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will be simple and straight to the point as this list can be rather long, someone else can elaborate on the topic:

Network: CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNA Security -> CCNP Security -> CCIE Security
    Firewall: Checkpoint CCSA -> CCSE
    General: Security + -> CISSP or CISM
    Pen Test: OCSP or eCCPT or GPEN or C|EH(Don't really recommend)
    Audit: CISA or CAP
    Framework: ITILv3 or Cobit or ISO-27000