Options

New Job - Continuing My New Direction

MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
I feel the members of this board are definitely targeting mostly technical roles and improvements. I've been working the technical field for 13 years now. But my story is my approach and transition out of the technical roles and into a business role.

The past 3 years I've been at a company which I've been learning a lot of business level knowledge. I've known the technical world would always be a stepping stone or a fallback position for me as I'm very skilled. But my 'passion' or desire is to build business and own things. IT has been a great means to satisfy the 'build' part but has always lacked on the business or ownership side.

I've accepted a new job as a cloud practice director for a larger 700 million dollar company. This company wants to be defined as a cloud company and is starting at the ground floor. They have given me an open appointment book and want me to build a business unit as I see fit.

This opportunity is similar to what I have begun at my current company. There are a few differences, one of the biggest being that I will now be completely disconnected from traditional IT. No longer will I ever work on a upgrade or system. Anything that I do will sit at an architectural and guidance level. This is a big change for me.

For anyone that is interested, I can spell out the story a little more detailed if you are wanting to do the same if this isn't enough detail. Something I learned on early in my career is that I will never become great without help, so I will always reciprocate.

Also, any networking you want to do with me is always welcome as I want to continue to build my network of relationships. Cloud has been my focus for 1-2 years now and will definitely be my full focus going forward.
My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the new role!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gratz, sounds like an exciting opportunity!
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job buddy, this sounds like a great opportunity for you. I'm sure you'll do great and be successful at whatever you do. I wish there were stories like this on here.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great news! Congratulations! It's good to see people from the forums going up on the chain. If you want to help, post your job postings here for any IT positions you might have in the future. Some bright individuals here that want to make that first step.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Mishra, congrats on the new position! It's great to see like minded folks here, with a huge interest in the business side of things. I'd definitely be interested in a more detailed background on your journey.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, wouldn't mind reading the detailed journey as well.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! It's nice to see how other long term members careers are progressing. I know I've definitely come light years since my first post here.

Are you sticking in Ashburn? Definitely hit me up for some more professional networking. I'm in the cloud space right now as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. I'm sticking in Ashburn and working from home with a lot of travel. My wife is going back to college for her masters so we are definitely here for 3 years.

It would be nice to grab you on linkedin networker. Can you add my linkedin my profile?

I'll see about writing up a little bit of my story and how I got here. I think it's helpful if you all are wanting to go the same direction.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!