Options

Skype Interview!

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hi everyone,

So just yesterday, I had a phone screening interview with HR for a IT Support intern position and now that I got through that, they booked me in for a Skype interview tomorrow. It will be with the IT manager, and it is an hour long.

Here are the responsibilities for this position:

• Troubleshooting problems by clearly communicating, identifying, documenting, analyzing and rectifying/escalating issues.
  • Maintain liaison with network users and technical staff to communicate the status of problem resolution to users; log and track requests for assistance.
  • Develop, implement and/or participate in the distribution of workstation related information to users to include information such as help desk procedures and desktop handbooks.
  • Manage the deployment and movement of hardware for new and existing employees.
  • Provide technical support for audio-visual and video conferencing equipment.
  • Maintain equipment in meeting rooms and special purpose rooms.
  • Review site reports and update site documentation.
Can anyone give me any tips on what I can do to study / prepare for this interview? What types of questions could he ask? Would there be any behavioral or would it be straight technical?

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Really no one knows. It might be technical, might not. Every manager and company has their own interviewing style. I'd be prepared for anything. Be confident in what you know and don't lie about what you don't. Nothing worse than someone BSing in an interview. It's pretty easy to see through.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I had an interview Friday for a Security Analyst position with the Security Manager, the Security Architect and a senior Security Analyst (so obviously I was expecting to be grilled) and got asked zero technical questions. So id say there is really no way to tell what kind of questions you will be asked.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, the HR manager threw in a few simple technical questions, but it was only a 20 minute phone interview. This is an hour, so I'm just wondering what could we talk about for an hour..
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just because it's scheduled for an hour doesn't mean it will take that long. I always block off an hour but most people are out in 15-30 minutes depending on how well they do. If it goes a whole hour they probably really like you!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Good point. I'm just wondering what technical questions I can review, if any at all?

I was asked some simple questions from the HR manager: What are the 2 types of IP addresses, Name 3 HTTP servers, Define DHCP, What is significant about 127.0.0.1... etc.

Thanks again for the replies.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    well sounds like your Interview went well with the Hr mamager then ? but you can never truly know what to expect as many companies are different in how they go about interviews.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Justin- wrote: »
    Good point. I'm just wondering what technical questions I can review, if any at all?

You either know it or you don't. They can ask any one of thousands of questions. There is no way to cover all the possibilities. If I were you, I would brush up on a couple of current tech topics things that are interesting in your industry. I would practice smiling, and be honest don't try to BS anything. if you don't know you don't know. What is important is how you would rectify the deficiency.

Good Luck,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    alias454 wrote: »
    You either know it or you don't. They can ask any one of thousands of questions. There is no way to cover all the possibilities. If I were you, I would brush up on a couple of current tech topics things that are interesting in your industry. I would practice smiling, and be honest don't try to BS anything. if you don't know you don't know. What is important is how you would rectify the deficiency.

Good Luck,

Cheers, I am going through some websites with top technical questions that interviewers ask. It'll allow me to brush up on some of the 'possible' questions that he could ask. I'll update this thread after tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your reply @alias454, and to everyone else that replied to this.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interview questions are a crap shoot, that being said I have had interviews for a Data Center Engineer role involving 20 Nexus Switches where all they asked me were basic CCNA questions.

I have had Junior Network Engineer role interviews that have asked me CCIE level questions.

Honestly I use to questions as a gauge to see what a companies expectations are, do they have healthy, or unhealthy expectations.

Most companies are going to ask questions along the lines of the job responsibilities so be prepared for it.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, the HR manager threw in a few simple technical questions, but it was only a 20 minute phone interview. This is an hour, so I'm just wondering what could we talk about for an hour..

I had an interview Tuesday that started @ 9:30 and and I didn't leave until 11:15. Interview went way longer than expected because me and the manager were talking about a variety of things pertaining to the job. When you get that vibe with the interviewer things can go great. It was funny because one of the guys was like "we have this conference room booked for this hour" we looked like wow we didn't realize the interview went as long as it did. I wasn't asked alot of technical questions either, it was more so of a does this guy fit the team type of interview.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Blackout wrote: »

I have had Junior Network Engineer role interviews that have asked me CCIE level questions.

What are CCIE level type of questions?
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MLS Troubleshooting (White Boarding)

Multicast mapping. I can't fully remember the questions as this was a couple of years ago.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    So I just finished the interview and I gotta say it was very relaxed, and we were laughing for most of the time. They didn't really ask any technical questions, it was more just an overview of what the job includes, talking about my previous work experience and more about the IT team. They said they would get in touch with me by the end of next week to let me know if I got the job or not. Hopefully I get it!!

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
  • Options
    Just an update:

The interview went GREAT. I nailed it and it was mainly an overview of what I would be doing and what I did at my previous internship. I got a job offer 2 hours after the interview :)

The pay is VERY good. Up in the 20's, so I'm pretty stoked about this.

Thanks again guys :)
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just an update:

The interview went GREAT. I nailed it and it was mainly an overview of what I would be doing and what I did at my previous internship. I got a job offer 2 hours after the interview :)

The pay is VERY good. Up in the 20's, so I'm pretty stoked about this.

Thanks again guys :)

Up in the 20s? You mean 20k salary or 20k increase? What's the job description and where is this job located?
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    maybe 20's as in dollars per hour
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”