SANS Seattle, GI BILL

Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
SANS Seattle is coming around beginning of October and they offering a lot of their flagship courses. Personally I really want to attend GCIH. Has anyone used their GI Bill to attend one of these events? I really want to use mine but am having a hard time finding a method to use GI Bill for this. The ARMY Cool site does show that the GIAC certification courses are qualified to use GI Bill benefits yet I cant seem to figure out how I utilize them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I think you can only do that if you are going through the STI masters.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Apparently it's changed, for certifications they pay for the test only now and not the training. Licensing and Certification - Education and Training
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Good point. Per GIAC:

"GIAC certification is now available for VA reimbursement for Chapter 30 and Chapter 35 veterans and eligible dependents. Please note that VA reimbursement is only for GIAC certification and does not include SANS training fees. Certification may be earned in conjunction with SANS training or separately as a Challenge Certification. The reimbursement can be applied retroactively for any GIAC certifications received since November 15, 2001."
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Thanks for the quick reply, I guess my dreams of getting GIAC cert-ed up wont come true unless I'm feeling confident enough to challenge the tests.
  • SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats always been the case, there are reports that people have found ways to do it but IDK how.

Remember there are resources here to assist you with your challenge.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Don't give up so easy. I was able to get VA to reimburse fees by doing the SANS work study program ($900). Work study is ez, just donate some of your time and you get to hangout + you get testing fees paid and the ondemand portion for $900.
  • LR0926LR0926 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Emerald,When you got the VA to reimburse fees for your work study, did you categorize it as exam/certification reimbursement?
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Work study, that's a great idea. I always forget about it.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    LR0926 wrote: »
    Hi Emerald,When you got the VA to reimburse fees for your work study, did you categorize it as exam/certification reimbursement?

yes

7char
  • flyingjimmybflyingjimmyb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have a bachelor degree you can apply for the STI graduate certificate and then get the VA to pay for it that way. Thats what I did for two of the classes/certs