Options

Texas to Maryland

MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am currently in negotiations with a company to move from Killeen, TX(Ft. Hood) to Aberdeen, Maryland. They are willing to include a relo package:

Up to 25k
30 days temp living
one car and household move
30 day storage
Transportation mileage (GSA) or airline tickets
Misc Relo up to 1.5K

I have up to a year from starting, to use these benefits. The other thing to consider is my take home pay (after taxes) will be about 14K or 17% more than I make now. Does this sound like a good move, I am not desperate in moving and I relatively get paid pretty good for the area I live in now. I have a spouse which currently works, could possibly work from home in her current job for 3-6 months until she can find another job and I have 2 children. Thanks for any words of techexam wisdom!

Comments

• Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    This is probably a dumb question on my part, but I've always wondered how relo works when you own a home. Does the company buy your current home or just expect for you to sort that out?
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used to work at APG, so I'm very familiar with the area. Other thing to keep in mind is that if you buy in MD, they will eat you on property tax. Go over the border into DE and it's cheaper - plus no SALES TAX.

Any questions - hit me up offline on PM.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Khaos1911

This company does pay for the sale of a house and money towards a future home but only for Sr. Consultants and above.

kiki162

I guess property taxes is relative because I was on the County site and the highest I saw was 1.06 which is a lot lower than the 2.4 I pay here in Texas.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would ignore the fact that the property tax is lower because they are making up the difference with a State Income Tax, remember in Texas we don't pay State Income tax which is why your property tax is higher. Also check for other types of property taxes, some states also charge you property tax on your vehicles in addition to all the other fees. Eastern states usually vote Democrat which equals higher taxes.

Personally i would vote no unless it's a major boost to your career. The fact that your wife will also have to find a new job and you will have to buy a house which will be a lot more expensive and lot less space, that extra 25k=14k after tax will disappear very quickly. Texas is also the only state in the Union that has booming economy which is not completely reliant on Oil like North Dakota.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    If you factor in COL in Maryland compared to Texas, that 17% pay raise may actually end up being a pay cut.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pevangel wrote: »
    If you factor in COL in Maryland compared to Texas, that 17% pay raise may actually end up being a pay cut.

THIS!!! I've lived in both Texas (Houston & San Antonio) and have also lived in the greater DC area (N Virgina, DC, MD). Cost of living is about double.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to work at APG as well, I can tell you right now I would never ever leave an area with Low cost of Living, for Maryland The taxes are freaking outrageous there. Everything is more expensive there, from Energy Drinks to Smokes. Personally I would move to about 30 other states before considering Maryland.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi