Options

290 study + xp client = 270 pass?

plazticsoulplazticsoul Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I skipped the 270 and went straight to 290 for my first exam. Since there seems to be a lot of overlapping, and since I'm using Windows XP as my test lab's client, would I be already prepared to take the 270? Would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Comments

• Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I would pick up a XP Pro exam book and study that. The 290 does overlap with the 270 in most of the topics but not all.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think they are similar that much at all. NTFS permissions is about the only thing IMO. You might get a few questions on the 270 that relate to an Active Directory environment, but for the most part it has little to do with the server side of things.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    TeKniques is right, there is really not 'that' much overlap. There is a fair amount of overlap if you look solely at the topics/features, but for some topics 290 goes further (i.e. server specific) and for others the 70-270 goes further (client specific). Passing one does not automatically mean you can pass the other. On the other hand, it certainly helps. And even though for those who take 290 before 270, they seem to recommend that because it makes 70-270 easier. I disagree and recommend to take the logical path, 70-270 first, as it makes the more difficult 290 easier (istead of using a difficult exam to make an easier exam easier...). Anyway, regardless of the overlapping topics, and you probably would pass with your 290 experience and hands-on with XP, I'd stay safe and focus a bit on the 70-270 specific client-side aspect.