Passed the eLearnSecurity eJPT exam

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I passed the eJPT exam about 20 mins ago with an 85%. I'm still kicking myself trying to figure out what I answered wrong icon_rolleyes.gif

I began the exam at 9AM and finished around 2PM. I found after a few hours that I was overconfident and had to slow down and think more carefully. This kind of exam requires a strategy. The first box I popped was a giveaway with a well known vulnerability that is easily exploited with Metasploit. The others were not so easy and required you to think 'outside of the box'. I found myself referring to the notes I made, PDFs from the course, googling and looking over the SANS Metasploit **** Sheet. If you are using a Mac, the following tools are very helpful:
  • Quiver
  • SimpleMind free
Apart from the CCENT and CCNA exam that I've done, this is the most interactive exam I've ever done. I enjoyed it greatly.

Now, going to hit some cartoons with the kids and later on start reading through the eCPPT PDFs icon_wink.gif

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! There's nothing better than practical exams. I wish all were like this.
  • thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did this compare (in terms of knowledge depth) to the GPEN?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On that I would say the SANS 580 is superior. A much deeper dive into Pen Testing and Ed Skoudis is an excellent teacher. 580 teaches "living off the land" during a pentest (by learning to survive merely on Windows and Linux commands ) and brings a lot of advice that you won't get with the eLearnSecurity course. I'm glad I took the SANS 580 course.

I haven't gotten far with eLearnSecurity's Professional course, but Based on what I'm seeing so far I'm going to be drowning in information. For example, PTSv3's Information Gathering section is 37 pages compared to the PTPv3 Information Gathering section which is 255 pages.
  • Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long/many hours did you spend on the course work leading up to the exam?
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass, I passed the exam last week.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Nice write up!

I'm impressed that eLearnSecurity is comparable and in many cases even better than SANS, seeing the huge difference in cost!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

I'm not sure if better would be the way to put it. 580 is the beginning of the Pen Testing journey in the SANS world. It provides a very good road map for you to become a Pen Tester. I took it via. SANS OnDemand, so I didn't get a chance to become involved with the SANS nightly lectures they have or the oppurtunity to talk to the instructors in person.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • lkphulkphu Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi veritas_libertas,
    I am beginner in Security Field . I have dilemma between Security plus and ECPPT gold . As your experience , are eLearnSecurity PTS and PTP a interesting courses for Security beginner ? Or Should I learn Security+ first to learn some foundation of Security ?
    @lkphu: Interesting yes, but for the most part it's going to teach you red team techniques. There is a lot more to security than just that. You need a foundation. What's your background?
    I am senior Computer Science student now. I have a little bit background about networking , advanced java programming , database . For my last year , I want to focus on security field . Do you have any suggestion ? ( Security plus, network + or Ecppt gold )
    Thanks you very much .
    I suggest the following. You don't have to take each of the certification exams, you could just read the books and learn the material:

MCSA --> CCNA --> Security+

If you are interested in Red Team stuff then you could do the eCPPT or OSCP after you have read or taken the above.
    I have a newbie question . What is the different between Ecppt and security+ ? Or What does "Red Team technique" mean ? Is it different from security ?
    ^^ Thanks
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lkphu wrote: »
    I have a newbie question . What is the different between Ecppt and security+ ? Or What does "Red Team technique" mean ? Is it different from security ?
    ^^ Thanks

Sec+ is a very general security certification that covers many topics related to security. Most of eLearnSecurity's certs are more focused on either pentesting (as is the case with eCPPT), secure app coding/development, or reverse engineering, which are all very specific niche areas of security.
    NovaHax wrote: »
    Sec+ is a very general security certification that covers many topics related to security. Most of eLearnSecurity's certs are more focused on either pentesting (as is the case with eCPPT), secure app coding/development, or reverse engineering, which are all very specific niche areas of security.
    Thank you very much, NovaHax.
    I plan to take Sec+ -->PTS --> PTP --> OSCP . Is it a good plan for security field ?
    lkphu wrote: »
    ^^ Thanks

The best thing you can do is Google these things and research them yourself.
    The best thing you can do is Google these things and research them yourself.

Thank veritas_libertas
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratsicon_cheers.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.