Options

Cliche Dilemma - Advance or Soldier on

echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, a bit of context.

I work as an Escalations Lead (Ticketdesk) in an ISP/Telco's Tech Support Department. I've been in this role for 15 months, and have done pretty well.

I have a wide variety of work/tasks in addition to Tickets and Escalations. I train all Tier 1 (residential services) and Tier 2 (enterprise/corporate services) agents (equivalent of CCENT material). Document troubleshooting procedures and hardware in our internal wiki. Take part in on-board meetings for mergers or new services, Co-Manage/maintain our KB (knowledge base) server. I really enjoy this variety, and have learned a lot the past 15 months. Prior to this I was a Tier 2 agent.

I also cover for Teamleads now and then, and know their job pretty well.

That brings me to the point of my post. There is a Full-Time Teamlead position opening up, and I'm already being prodded by others to apply for it.

The Teamlead position would come with a shift premium/bump in pay that amounts to about 10% more than I earn now. It would be more responsibility for my shift, as well as some added duties (like watching Nagios, ok'ing employee breaks, assisting agents...). I would also have the joy of taking escalated calls from angry customer's who demand a Supervisor, and be judged on my shift service levels, which as I see it are primarily affected by scheduling and projections (neither of which I have control over). My schedule would be about the same as it is now.

You can probably already see the reservations I have. The pace of the Teamlead job in general means you sometimes only have 2-3 minutes to spend on an issue before you have to make a decision to punt it somewhere or call up someone (and I think this causes TL's to err in judgement sometimes). That time crunch is ok with me for the most part though, as I usually have an idea of what is going on in within 2-3 minutes. However, issues where you need to really look at what's going on, like with a PCAP, I wouldn't have time for...and I tend to really enjoy those issues!

Teamleads also tend to use their 'hard skills' much less than I do, and I think it causes a degradation. They don't get to do the fun stuff like troubleshoot an IPsec tunnel, and regularly seek my advice and guidance. I worry that if I take the job, my skills will erode as well. If I continue to pursue certs, that shouldn't happen though...I hope?

Another thing I really enjoy about my current role is the Test Bench and Training Lab I just got the CEO's approval for. This is a big deal for our department (can't believe we didn't have one until now, and yes other departments like OPs naturally have a test bench), and will help a lot with training. I am nearly drooling when I consider the scenarios I can lab and use as training examples. The possibilities are endless as I am getting demarcation points for our major services, as well as access to any gear I need. I am stoked!

But, if I move to the Teamlead position, will I have time to setup the lab and train agents? Will I have time to test a config or new hardware? I don't think I will, even if management agrees I can continue to work on and manage this project. Maybe I could put in extra/overtime on it... I'd almost be willing to do it for free after hours...almost.

Lastly, as annual raises are ~5% per year (had mine back in May), if I took the Teamlead position I'd be looking at making ~15% more than I do at this very moment, 9.5 months from now. Considering my financial goals and situation... that's a big deal for me.

So here I sit, wondering if I should apply or stick with my current role, which I really enjoy. I don't think either position bars me from further advancement within the company, so my eventual goal of Network or Sys Admin should be possible either way, however I feel that my current role is more technical, while the Teamlead position is more managerial.

I apologize if this stream on consciousness has hurt anyone's head :) Any and all input is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally to me, that team lead job sounds miserable. But I also wouldn't recommend staying where you are at. It sounds like you've already made your way to the top of the help desk world. So that means, its time to make a choice. Either you need to start making an effort to move into a more niche technical role where you can continue to grow, or you move to management. If you enjoy the technical side of things...stick with that...but find something you can specialize in. The best you will ever do in helpdesk is be a really good generalist.

Coming from my somewhat biased security-worldview... If you are skilled enough...and more importantly, if you enjoy breaking down pcaps...you should consider going for your GCIA and trying to get into a security analyst-type role. Just my 2-cents. Good luck, whatever you choose icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just reading your post it doesn't sound like it's something you want to do and you're just looking for validation. If you need the money take it. If not it sounds like you want to keep your current role.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NovaHax wrote: »
    Coming from my somewhat biased security-worldview... If you are skilled enough...and more importantly, if you enjoy breaking down pcaps...you should consider going for your GCIA and trying to get into a security analyst-type role. Just my 2-cents. Good luck, whatever you choose icon_thumright.gif

Thanks I'll check out the GCIA! I think you are right, I do need to specialize soon...
    Just reading your post it doesn't sound like it's something you want to do and you're just looking for validation. If you need the money take it. If not it sounds like you want to keep your current role.

Maybe I am looking for validation that my greed will be rewarded long term career wise...

What I'd really like to know if anyone has ever moved up into a less Technical role and found the transition back to something a bit more in-depth to be difficult or impossible? I fear painting myself into a corner so to speak, although I still plan to pursue certs and create labs...