Options

Cis, mis, is, it

tsimmnstsimmns Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is one better than the other? I have around 15classes left to finish a BBA in MIS from a B&M school in Mississipppi. I'm contemplatimg switching to IS at Dakota State, but for entry level is one better than the other? I already have a job that pays well, just looking for a career change. I will go for the Masters in IS from probably DAkota State after this, unless I make the switch to their BS in IS. Just looking for opinions from some experts who currently work in the field.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As always, it depends. Different schools define MIS, CIS, etc, differently. And "entry level" what? Do you want a job in helpdesk? You can probably get that now by picking up your A+ and working on your resume.

To be honest, past your first job, (or unless a company is VERY set on a CS degree) I don't think any/many companies are going to care if your degree is in IT, IS, CIS or MIS as long as it fills the "technical degree" requirement if they even have one.
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Different schools define MIS, CIS, etc, differently.

This.

Pay more attention to the actual course titles than the name of the major. I've seen Computer Information Systems and Information Technology degrees that looked more rigorous in the math / programming aspects than some Computer Science degrees...
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    MideMide Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CIS and MIS are essentially the same majors, just named differently. They are always part of the College of Business in regular state Universities. They will teach you broad stuff about business and some tech but no real "skills". It's up to you to find your interest and niche in IT and use the degree to get a job so that you can learn more. I personally would not go to South Dakota for an MS degree in CIS/MIS. If your end-game is a job, go to a major city that has a lot of employers/recruiters and attend a University there.