Options

Whats are signs that indicate that you are Cut out for IT and not cut out for IT?

Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
MY Opinion
If you want a career in IT

You must
- Always be patient
- Continue to always learn
- Like technology
- Be a natural born problem solver and develop a curiosity?

You are not cut out if
- You hate technology
- Have no patience
- if you don't keep learning

Comments

• Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I would add this to not being cut out:

If you think you know it all - IT isn't the place for you!
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT field is diverse and it isn't very hard. You don't need any special skills or talent to find sucess.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Love the troubleshooting aspect of it all.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TonyTruong101TonyTruong101 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah really hit the nail on that one, not just in IT any field the moment you stop learning you're as good as dead. IMHO
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I love dealing with people who are afraid of new technology. Find them humorous. The ones that are afraid to touch a piece of equipment or do something on a computer because they are afraid they will completely mess everything up if they hit the wrong button.

I think a big part of being good in IT is not being afraid to try out things even when you don't know much about it. And enjoy learning from your mistakes.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You might not feel that way after breaking a bunch of stuff NetworkNewb. Cautiousness is certainly a great quality to have in the technology world. I'd much rather have someone that is scared to break it so they do their due diligence. I'm still pretty nervous even doing the most mundane of changes because I've seen so many things go wrong. Things can go terribly wrong even when you do everything right, bugs etc. I certainly don't want people learning form their mistakes on the production environment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    +1 to networker, the larger the environment the more prone to disaster. In some of the environments I work in now I would rather see a Change not go through if someone doesn't' understand it vs push a few buttons and everything goes down.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would agree that loving technology helps in this field but I find myself a bit indifferent to it as a whole. If I woke up tomorrow and every PC on earth was gone, I would probably shed a quiet tear and move on and...go chop some wood or something. That's just me though- I guess I'd rather be camping :)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lol well ya... Of course I meant to an extent. icon_razz.gif I'm all for breaking my own my stuff and learning from them. Best way to learn imo. Obviously gonna be fired quickly for playing around in production environments.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bchen2 wrote: »
    If you want a career in IT

You must
    - Always be patient
    - Continue to always learn
    - Be a natural born problem solver and develop a curiosity

You are not cut out if
    - Have no patience
    - if you don't keep learning

These things are applicable if you want a career in any field.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    95% of the time, you need to have some kind of logical thought process. I've met someone who just didn't get it, but was the hardest worker I've ever met. It was a sad day for all of us when his manager had to let him go because he just couldn't logically think through a problem.

Other than that, I think most people can reach some kind of position in IT as another one already said in this thread. IT is too broad of a field.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Another key to being successful (at least for me) is communication and the ability to work as a team with your colleagues. That can be said about any job but communication is paramount to this career field.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love dealing with people who are afraid of new technology. Find them humorous. The ones that are afraid to touch a piece of equipment or do something on a computer because they are afraid they will completely mess everything up if they hit the wrong button.

I think a big part of being good in IT is not being afraid to try out things even when you don't know much about it. And enjoy learning from your mistakes.

Some things you only learn the hard way.

For example, issuing a #no ip address x.x.x.x for a vlan management interface on certain Cisco 3750's is prone to crashing them. You learn that lesson extra hard when said 3750's are a stack serving a BGP network for 500 hosts.

You do things like this enough, and suddenly you become very, very afraid to touch production systems.
  • Options
    New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree! The troubleshooting aspect is the best. I also love analyzing and then having the "A HA!" moment once I've found the resolution and everyone's happy :D Not tooting my own horn,as I am very humble person, but some employees have been so thankful for my help that they've given me Starbucks gift cards and sometimes they'll specifically request for me to work on their computer. I love I.T., glad I made the career change! I couldn't be happier
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At my last job I managed a few temps who would either ask me how to troubleshoot a problem or go straight to Google without actually seeing what the issue a user was reporting. If a tech is like that then they don't belong in IT unless it's more of a lower level role like computer operator or something.
  • Options
    majestic_pecanmajestic_pecan Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe this should say "if you want to ADVANCE in IT."
    I've worked in Help Desk and Operations and most of the people I work with have little to no patience with end users and no interest in learning any new skills or technologies besides the bare minimum necessary to keep their job (if that).
    2016 GOALS:
    Linux+
    Wireshark
    New job...
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Maybe this should say "if you want to ADVANCE in IT."
    I've worked in Help Desk and Operations and most of the people I work with have little to no patience with end users and no interest in learning any new skills or technologies besides the bare minimum necessary to keep their job (if that).

I see this alot. It seems you have an advantage over these individuals, though. You are a majestic pecan, after all.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not cut out.
    - The misuse of energy at the workplace (back to back smoke & coffee breaks, hanging out in groups and ruminating irrelevant things)
    - Compulsively checking Facebook, or other social media page.
    - Spreading around 'bro science', which is actually rubbish. <--- This is true for IT, too. Not just the gym.

Cut out all the points said above, one I'd like to add
    - Motivation
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree! The troubleshooting aspect is the best. I also love analyzing and then having the "A HA!" moment once I've found the resolution and everyone's happy :D Not tooting my own horn,as I am very humble person, but some employees have been so thankful for my help that they've given me Starbucks gift cards and sometimes they'll specifically request for me to work on their computer. I love I.T., glad I made the career change! I couldn't be happier

I enjoy the aspect of helping others as well it's a reward in and of itself. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63