Options

Taking test Saturday

hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
Folks,

I bought the Gibson book as you all recommended. I have 3 chapters left. I did the WGU sims before reading the book and passed them all but scores were on the lower side (81-84) basically around the board. Since reading the book, things like "Blue Jacking" and stuff I am now aware or re-aware of. I haven't really gone that intense on studying for this, but is it really necessary? I have read around these parts that port numbers are big and I know and have known most of them (ones I forget are like POP3 SSL and obscure ones that I would be surprised to see on a test) for awhile, so no real concern there. All your wireless standards are no big deal at this point, and I know most of the encryption stuff (but will read that chapter in the book still). What else am I really to expect? I see mentions of sims on here like WAP and RAID which shouldn't be bad too. If questions are like "Which is a physical control mechanism? Answer: Door Locks" then I feel that I am fine. But are the questions much trickier than this? I don't want to have incorrect expectations here but the passing score is relatively high, so I want to be sure I am prepared.

In my past experiences with CompTIA exams, the questions tend to be very generic and relatively straightforward. I do know that this one tends to be harder though.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good luck!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got mine schedule for Wednesday. I'm only a few chapters into the book right now though. Just started studying about a week ago... ;) I bought a bundle which included a free retake if I don't pass the first time though. Which I might need given the time frame I'm trying to do it in.

The topics seems pretty straight forward. Can't imagine it is terribly difficult. Just seems like a lot of memorizing stuff like the other Comptia exams...

Good luck Saturday!
  • Options
    MidaxMidax Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed mine this Tuesday. You seem to be on the right track. Port numbers, encryption, and authentication all all big on the test. A couple of questions are not as straight forward as the Network+ though so read the question carefully to fully understand what they are asking.
  • Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Good luck on your test on Saturday! If you went over Darril's book and premium online content, you should be good to go.
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes. Good luck to everyone as well. I'm nervous because I usually put in 110% and I probably haven't for this. It's my 4th test of the semester and I'm a little because Linux was rather demanding since it was learning mostly new content, where as this is kind of a re-hash and I'm attempting to not work myself into the ground.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    All the best......let us know the good news.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    overtheborderovertheborder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The test is all about simulations and terms. Know the simulations in the book and you should be fine. I used WGU's suggested content and didn't do so hot. After using his book/content I did much better.
  • Options
    I passed this with an 822/900. I studied for 3 weeks in total. I thought the simulations were the easiest part. I hated how some of the questions were worded - some seemed very poor. I don't know if I would of passed without reading the book. Some of the non-technical things like control types probably would of hurt me. Overall, I'd say if someone has the Network+ and a CCNA (CCNA Security helps a little too) then they might as well sit for this exam. Think it's needed for government jobs anyway so could help in the future.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gratz!! nice work
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, the wording on alot of these exams really is a pet peeve with me.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options