Options

Why so many system admin jobs go unfilled?

2»

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    LeBroke wrote: »
    Sure, you can find enough high-end Cisco guys because most places use Cisco.

I wish it was that easy.....
    I hate to ask but i have worked contract at places that had guys in their early 50s working at a tier 1 job they've been there for over 10 years and i understand you love the place you work at but at some point doesn't it get tiring of troubleshooting someones outlook? I love the help desk job but it isn't something i would want to do all my life, well maybe if they paid very well. I'm 27 by the way and love the IT field

It's just a job to some people. Nothing wrong with that. Or maybe they get pleasure out of working with people rather than the actual technology itself.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    .... I'm 27 by the way and love the IT field

In 5 yrs time you'll have a different mindset and when you're 50 your priorities will be completely different.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate to ask but i have worked contract at places that had guys in their early 50s working at a tier 1 job they've been there for over 10 years and i understand you love the place you work at but at some point doesn't it get tiring of troubleshooting someones outlook? I love the help desk job but it isn't something i would want to do all my life, well maybe if they paid very well. I'm 27 by the way and love the IT field

I've been a network engineer at a few places and let me tell you, at everyone there is at least one guy who has been doing Helpdesk/Deskside work for 10 years +, doesn't want to move on and is completely satisfied doing that role. My guess is that they are happy with that amount of responsibility and don't want to take on anymore and are happy with that decision.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499

I don't think that he was talking about help desk. He think he sees himself as an engineer for more than 10 years. I could defnitely see myself being a senior level engineer for the rest of my career.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Or maybe they get pleasure out of working with people rather than the actual technology itself.

These people definitely exist. I've had a couple coworkers who fell into this category. They'd gladly take all the phone calls and client visits off of your todo list, and it wasn't due to a lack of technical ability or even necessarily not liking the technical stuff.
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    These people definitely exist. I've had a couple coworkers who fell into this category. They'd gladly take all the phone calls and client visits off of your todo list, and it wasn't due to a lack of technical ability or even necessarily not liking the technical stuff.

That was a definitely something you couldn't do at another company i worked at. They wanted people to learn on their own and in a way you couldn't or shouldn't take a call that someone else was working on. If they need help you can help them through chat but you couldn't offload their work and take it for yourself.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    The problem is that alot of companies don't want to train some people who are on the fringe of capably doing the work. They might be a bit lacking in an area or two, but could get up to speed once hired i believe. They could be apprentice to a sys admin for a few weeks and start picking up the work handily i think.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's kind of a double edged sword. Companies just want someone that can get the job done so why look for someone that hasn't proven they can? But also how do people ever get that break?

The way I see it it's your responsibility to convince someone to take a chance on you. It's not the company's responsibility to train you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.