Options

MSP field tech yay or nay?

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently interviewed over the phone for a field tech position at a small MSP. I'm trying to decide if I should pursue it further by sending a thank you email to improve the chances of a face to face interview and if it puts me on a path towards networking and/or security. My gut is telling me no but I'd like to get other opinions in case I might be missing something.

Here's some details:
- <10 employees at the current branch, it's new this year, <50 at other branches in other states
- Out of the office about 90% of the time, other 10% is taking help desk calls in the office
- Average 90-100 hours every 2 weeks
- Must use personal transportation, gas is paid for at an unknown rate
- Independent work most of the time, with the occasional project in a team, most collaboration is over the phone
- Probably cisco exposure according to the interviewer (job lists watchguard and sonicwall but looking for network+ and ccna)
- Didn't appear to be much upward mobility within the company

Some doubts:
- I don't like working independently, much more effective in a team
- I'd like to work with people more knowledgeable than me so I can learn from them
- I'd have to purchase a newer car and don't enjoy driving more than a couple of hours a day
- A lot of hours, it's non-exempt hourly so overtime but could they want even more from me
- I'd like cisco exposure, but with no experience beyond ccna studying and home lab I'm not sure I should be on production networks alone
- The upward mobility isn't a very big deal as I feel it's another stepping stone but it could mean there isn't high level colleagues to learn from

Is this another overworked MSP with frustrated employees or am I missing something?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say check out any glassdoor reviews of the company. Just because there's not much chance of upward mobility doesn't mean there aren't senior-level people willing to assist when you're in over your head. If you want to get Cisco exposure, it sounds like you will probably get it here, along with other vendors, which is rewarding in other ways (learning the technology vs. learning the vendor).
  • Options
    Unfortunately they aren't on Glassdoor.

According to the job listing they specialize in designing and implementing networks in businesses of 20-500 employees, some cisco there probably. Then there's providing tier 1 and 2 support for Fortune 1000's specifically with healthcare, financial and compliance companies.

I'm guessing there probably is some very knowledgeable people in the company, thing is they're likely 1000's of miles away at the HQ. Is learning from them really a possibility?

I can't really imagine a colleague spending a few hours instructing how to setup network devices over the phone as opposed to doing it remotely.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Working independently while it may be challenging, can be very rewarding. It can lay down the groundwork for you to really grow professionally and unless the MSP is fairly well established I wouldn't imagine there be a lot of 'team' oriented projects, depending on the work of course.

The long hours are pretty common with MSP's, I remember when I used to juggle 80+hours a week.. Just be ready to juggle a 50 hour work you WGU and Cert studies.

As far as the driving, that's a tough choice just make sure to keep an eye on how much transportation cost vs the income last thing you want to be in Red
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    True working independently would definitely improve my character and skillset. I've worked independent jobs in other fields in the past and they didn't last long. I lost interest quickly. That said, here I'd probably be around office workers most of the day, which is a good environment for me as long as banter's allowed. Most of the techs I've seen are very introverted, they come in, introduce themselves, do their work silently and leave. That's not who I am, is this expected of an MSP field tech?

If this is a small MSP in the area it would likely only have a few clients right? In that case, it probably wouldn't be a lot of driving unless I was going from place to place every day. While I'd prefer working on site in my experience there isn't a lot you need to be onsite to fix. Sitting at one client remoting to another client might be a common task.

I probably should pursue it as it could be a really interesting position. I have a habit of displaying disinterest early on in the process, shortly after a quick first screening phone interview, like this one. Which is before I really know the position's every day duties. If I can't imagine myself in the position, I don't want to waste each other's time. When's a good time in the interview process to say you aren't interested? Is it appropriate to send a short thank you email after an initial phone screening to show you are still interested and would like to know more?