Options

CEH - Passed!

Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys and gals! After 2.5 months of studying, I passed the CEH with an 88% in just under two hours. There were roughly 6 or 7 sections, split into groups of 30, 40, 5, 15, etc. Very odd if you ask me - I'm guessing this is so you can't find the answer to a question from another question. Anyway, here are some take-aways from my exam without breaking NDA.

1. Some questions are not covered in any of the material I used for study (Walker AIO with Practice Exams, BOSON, CBTNuggets) Some stuff carried over from the SSCP so I am lucky to have that knowledge still floating around in my brain.
2. Some questions didn't have a correct answer to choose from. I'm serious. I'd love to share but I can't for obvious reasons.
3. Some questions are so darn obvious it makes you wonder if you are missing something.
4. Know the main NMAP switches really well and know what responses you get on open/closed ports.
5. One or two questions were almost identical to some of the AIO practice questions in Total Tester/AIO. How'd that happen?
6. Know your subnetting (How to identify a subnet/broadcast)

Honestly, the majority of the stuff I spent so much time memorizing wasn't even on the exam. Bitter sweet I guess you can say, but now I understand everyone's gripe with EC Council and this certification. I learned a ton from studying, but achieving a "Certified" status should be a lot more difficult.

Again, the materials I used were Matt Walker's AIO 2nd Edition with practice questions, BOSON, CBTNuggets, playing with the majority of the tools (nmap, hping, Cain, Metasploit, etc) . These resources should be plenty for a seasoned IT guy/gal to pass this exam. But beware, there are topics that are so far off and no way to prep for before hand. They assume that you just know this stuff already.

Good luck to any one else prepping for this exam.

AC

Comments

• Options
    SuperISSOSuperISSO Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrads Arnie335.

I'm may try to take this test closer to December depending on how ready I feel. I think it will at least take me 5 months of studying. My precedence is going toward pleasing God, kids, wife, and other family.

:)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SuperISSO wrote: »
    Congrads Arnie335.

I'm may try to take this test closer to December depending on how ready I feel. I think it will at least take me 5 months of studying. My precedence is going toward pleasing God, kids, wife, and other family.

:)

Thanks! You could definitely study for and take this test within 2 - 3 months, especially having the knowledge from Security+ and the SSCP. It's not as intense as you think it would be. :)
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratsicon_thumright.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.