Options

Consulting and contracting gigs - How to approach them

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm sure others are either doing this full time or part time but wanted to get some feedback on some things I'm considering or if I should even consider them.

I am getting approached via email/phone probably 2-3 times a week for contracting/consulting gigs of 3 months to 6 month durations. I currently have a full time job that I am getting accustomed to and learning new things in the process, it is more of a compliance, auditing, policy and process creation type of role.

The contract/consulting gigs I am being approached for are also of the same nature. Now I'm not considering leaving my full time job for those positions and so far have shut down all the recruiters. But over the weekend a friend with similiar background was brought in the conversation and apparently they are doing this type of job and charging companies a leg and an arm for their services.

So basically what I'm trying to get at is this question. If another opportunity comes along for 3 months, can i accept that and still keep my full time job? I work in the banking industry, so any other company in the same industry might be considered a conflict of interest and might even cost me my full time job. Should I notify my company that I am consulting on the side? The thing I am wondering is, is this even possible? Lets say the company is not in the banking industry. How would that work? Can I work remotely and make my own schedule and work after i finish my full time job or do they need you available during normal hours?
Is anyone else out there doing something similar? Where you have a 9-5 job and then do consulting gig on the side? The extra income would definitely benefit me to pay some bills.