Options

Will this work for a home lab for CCNA?

davertekdavertek Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Someone has this setup for sale and I'd like someone more in the know to evaluate it's ability to be a home lab for CCNA study. WOuld I need anything additional?

1x Cisco 1760 router with PVDM-12 installed
1x Cisco Catalyst C3524-PWR-XL-EN 10/100/1000 POE (power over ethernet) switch - 24 10/100 POE ports, 2x 1000mb GBIC ports
1x Cisco Catalyst C3524-XL-EN 10/100/1000 switch - 24 10/100 ports, 2x 1000mb GBIC ports
1x WS-G5483 - Gigabit UTP (RJ45) GBIC for C3524 switches
1x WS-X3500-XL - Gigabit stacking interface, for C3524 switches
3x VIC-2FXS voice modules for 1760 router, each allows connecting 2 phones to the router.
1x VIC-2FXO-M1 voice module for 1760, allows connecting two phone lines to the router.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For the CCNA I would say you would want 3 routers and 3 switches to make sure you can do everything.
  • Options
    cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Without a price it's hard to say, but unless it's insanely cheap I'd pass just based on the switches. They run on CatOS, which is an older operating system than what you're going to see on the exam (IOS) and you'll run into some syntax differences. How much are they asking?
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Waste of money if you ask me. Get 3-4 L3 switches and connect those to GNS3. 4x 3560e will cost about $450. That's all you'll need for the R&S track all the way to the CCIE.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    a 1760 is usable in a ccna lab. But, what you are learning is how the software works, so you need a good ios installed. I'd say if it doesn't have advanced enterprise on it don't bother. That ios requires at least 128mb dram and 32mb flash. Even, with that it can only 12.4 or 12.4T but not version 15 of the ios. So, if it doesn't have that, your not going to get that ios loaded on to it. The 1760 does have a 10/100 ethernet port so you can do intervlan routing. But, it only has one so no nat/pat. And with no serial interfaces you are going to have to buy some to do frame relay. The pdvm, fxs, and fxo cards are for voice. you can use the 1760 for voice, but it only supports up to version 4.1 which is prior to version 7, and the voice test is for version 8.6. So, no help for a routing and switching cert. The switches are junk.
  • Options
    davertekdavertek Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    He's asking 60 bucks for all of it.

console output from C1760 router, with 4 VIC's installed:

Router#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(14)T4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Thu 08-Sep-05 13:22 by kehsiao

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 3 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c1700-ipvoice-mz.123-14.T4.bin"

Cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x500) with 115730K/15342K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FOC08202NUY (4211192274), with hardware revision 0000
    MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2
    1 FastEthernet interface
    2 Voice FXO interfaces
    6 Voice FXS interfaces
    32K bytes of NVRAM.
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    koz24 wrote: »
    Waste of money if you ask me. Get 3-4 L3 switches and connect those to GNS3. 4x 3560e will cost about $450. That's all you'll need for the R&S track all the way to the CCIE.

Not quite. The new CCIE lab has 40 devices. Your best bet for studying at the IE level is virtualizing your lab. Either use VIRL or rack rentals. Four L3 switches doesn't even scratch the surface for the CCIE.

As for the OP. I'd pass on that gear. It's too old to much use. CatOS has been out of use for a long time; current hardware is on 15.x now. Even the 12.x code is outdated in most instances. It's still usable but may not support everything you need.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    it is worth $60 if your looking for study for an old version of the voice cert. Most of those items aren't any good for studying for the ccna (such as the vics). it does have enough memory but your going to need to update the ios. Then get serial wics. I sell 1760's configured the way you need it delivered to your front door for $40. (sorry all sold out, last one arrived at the buyers house today).
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    Not quite. The new CCIE lab has 40 devices. Your best bet for studying at the IE level is virtualizing your lab. Either use VIRL or rack rentals. Four L3 switches doesn't even scratch the surface for the CCIE.

As for the OP. I'd pass on that gear. It's too old to much use. CatOS has been out of use for a long time; current hardware is on 15.x now. Even the 12.x code is outdated in most instances. It's still usable but may not support everything you need.

News to me on the 40 devices. All the lab topologies I saw had a max of 4 switches. http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook/task/ccie-r-s-v5-topology-diagrams-initial-configurations-MTk3Ng%3D%3D In these 40 device topologies, how many are switches? BTW, you can also use IOU but like VIRL a few things are not supported such as L3 Etherchannels,SPAN/RSPAN,PVLANs and a few others. What sucks about VIRL is that it's capped at 15 devices.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Even for that low of a price, you are still going to need quite a bit more to study for the current CCNA course
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    yes to the above. A good ccna lab has 3 routers and 2 switches