Options

Need IT career advice on my next path?

Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I took the offer for the computer support tier 2 I will be here for a while but want some advice on the next path I plan to take there are 3 paths I plan on taking but would like some advice here from Tech Exams Members
After Desktop Support

I either plan to

1. Head into a Desktop Support Senior Role/Team Lead/Management

2. Head into a IT Business Analyst Position

or

3. Head into a IT Web Programming position

Somethings to know about me I am a peoples person so I do like working with the end users, I have created my own websites before as part of a school project. And personally want to seek something stable for a long time. After this role I will pretty much end my career at one of these position until I retire

Which career path is good to take? and what are its pros and cons

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    You just accepted your new position... today if i'm understanding this correctly and you want to know what to do next? I suggest chilling out. Start the new job, let it ride for a couple of years and see where it takes you. Then look at what's next. Having a five year plan is a good idea... but don't start looking for an out when you just found an in.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    ou just accepted your new position... today if i'm understanding this correctly and you want to know what to do next? I suggest chilling out. Start the new job, let it ride for a couple of years and see where it takes you. Then look at what's next. Having a five year plan is a good idea... but don't start looking for out when you just found an in.

Good advice! Having a long term goal in IT sometimes is useless. You never know where you will end up with the speed the technology is moving, all you have to do is always be prepare for the changes that are coming by keeping yourself always involved.

Myself, I started as a technician and thought I could do that job forever as I got quiet good at it. Then did Helpdesk and thought that I could do that forever as it was always something new. Then I got into Security and actually fell in love with it that I thought I could do that for the rest of my life. Then got into an audit/governance role and now I'm thinking I could do this for the rest of my career.
    The point from this? You never know where you will end up as you move into IT deeper and deeper and accumulate more knowledge.
    Roll with the punches and you will do good. Or make a 5 year plan like its highschool and college and focus on doing only that.
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I've been doing Desktop Support for 3-1/2 years, and although I am used to dealing with end users and their problems, I would prefer not to. I'm not a real people person, and when I encounter someone who has been at the company 5 years and seriously can't even do a Copy and Paste, I can just feel my blood pressure rising as I try not to call them a frickin' moron right then and there.

I would like to move more into Network Support or Data Center Support. Somewhere where I deal with the machines more and the people less. And make more money.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lol this! Listening to a manager during a company wide meeting, not know how to change to the next slide on PowerPoint. Then calls for a tech savvy person to come help. Are you serious? I just started punching myself. Easier that way. Lol
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Follow your passion first. And even if you don't get the career you planned, don't worry. Many of us had unexpected -yet nice- career turns.