Options

Trying to break into IT, need guidance.

seanBubbyseanBubby Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, so my name is Patrick Abraham and I am new to these forums. I am currently trying to plan out my immediate future and I am kind of/ sort of lost.

I will be obtaining an Associates degree in Computer Information Systems in the next 3 months and I am currently on an internship. My internship is coding related and I absolutely hate coding.

I am more into computer hardware and helping others with fixing issues they may have, but I know/feel like I am a total newbie when it comes to even that. I've seen terms like CCNA and subnet and I've never even heard of them before. I know the most recommended path is to start at the help desk, but is that the best way? And is it possible to obtain a help desk job with only an Associates and my limited knowledge? I know the basics of computers and I have extreme passion to learn anything necessary. Also, I'm definitely going to pursue a bachelor's unless I find employment, in which case I'll just work hard and gain experience, but I want a little bit of insight if anything.

Also, this is my resume. Without much (if at all) experience, is there anyway to spice it up? Is it decent enough for the level that I'm at?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=179CC70B2767E93B!2959&authkey=!AOslZIcEl1WcyLI&ithint=file%2cpdf

(If this is the wrong place, totally sorry. It seemed like the best place to put this thread)

Any and all help is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With an internship and an associates degree it is definitely possible to get a helpdesk position. I would recommend continuing on and getting your bachelors degree and get the Comptia A+ cert or an entry level Microsoft cert too though!
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Absolutely, I got my first gig with only a secret clearance, A+, and a recommendation. It helps who you know, also icon_wink.gif. Craft a great resume, really show potential employers that you are eager to learn and advance. But, don't stop there! Definitely get your degree and continue to further your knowledge by obtaining certifications.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I decided to go into IT in March, with minimal experience. I just got my A+ 2 weeks ago, and am now working a Tier 2 help desk for a big company. I was told by my recruiter that a lot of entry IT jobs are not looking for a plethora of tech skills, but customer service skills, willingness to work as a team, and a desire to grow their skills.

Keep your eyes out and entertain every possible lead. Get on LinkedIn, apply for stuff you may not even be qualified for, reach out to recruiters. You'll get there!

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Welcome to the forums! I think you could find a position with an Associate's degree and you may take a look at the A+ certification, that would help too!
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM