Options

How do you deal with Angry End Users on the job?

Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
As its part of entry level IT, how do you deal with an angry user while helping them solve their computer problem?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Honestly I have a very easy going attitude and don't care if the person is angry. I'm going to go through process of solving a problem no matter how they talk to me. I found if you stay calm and confident, most of the time the other person calms down. Not all the time though... I think it can fun to talk to angry people though, definitely more interesting than a regular call. You can't take it personally.

I've seen some when they are talking to someone who is angry on the phone the IT person get nervous and they start to sound unsure. Just makes the call a lot worse! Its like the angry person sees blood and goes for the throat! I saw one person almost completely break down, felt bad for the guy, just didn't know how to talk to people over the phone.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Really listen to the problem. Empathize and you will go a long way with that. Keep them updated with what you are doing to solve the problem.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly I have a very easy going attitude and don't care if the person is angry. I'm going to go through process of solving a problem no matter how they talk to me. I found if you stay calm and confident, most of the time the other person calms down. Not all the time though... I think it can fun to talk to angry people though, definitely more interesting than a regular call. You can't take it personally.

I see it the same way, just be calm listen to them and you should be fine.

Word of advice i can give is in that type of situation make sure you pay attention to what they are saying, i had a troubled caller once and wasn't able to help them and it cost me my job.
  • Options
    I see it the same way, just be calm listen to them and you should be fine.

Word of advice i can give is in that type of situation make sure you pay attention to what they are saying, i had a troubled caller once and wasn't able to help them and it cost me my job.

What company was this for?
    I think thats too harsh didnt you have traning or a team who can help you?
    I would assume most companies give you time to get up to speed
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bchen2 wrote: »
    What company was this for?
    I think thats too harsh didnt you have traning or a team who can help you?
    I would assume most companies give you time to get up to speed

Last call of the day, also most people leave and wont help because they are going home. Been stuck on a call where i had to figure everything out which isn't too hard because i do know what i am doing. Just had one terrible angry customer that actually cost me my job. 3 days of training on how to use their systems etc. Other techs are around to help but once again last call of the day i get stuck with and most people are gone.

It was actually for a really good company, but like any help desk job they probably had a new tech in that desk a few days later.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I have been in this position before. Confidence in my ability to do my job and solve their issue no matter what was key to resolving the situation. Stay calm and let the customer know you are diligently working on a solution and give them updates on your progress. They like to know exactly what is being done about it.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just remain calm because the user is not angry at me so nothing personal. I let them get it all out while I listen, repeat what I've been told to ensure the user that I understand the issue, and then I advise on my plan of action.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Last call of the day, also most people leave and wont help because they are going home. Been stuck on a call where i had to figure everything out which isn't too hard because i do know what i am doing. Just had one terrible angry customer that actually cost me my job. 3 days of training on how to use their systems etc. Other techs are around to help but once again last call of the day i get stuck with and most people are gone.

It was actually for a really good company, but like any help desk job they probably had a new tech in that desk a few days later.

I don't think a good company really fires someone just like that unless the techs really meant to screw up badly or just keep screwing up multiple times ( 10 to 20 times)
    We all make mistakes I know when I first started help desk I had trouble with it since it was my first job if I didn't know something I would deeply research the issue review any technical documents and if i still can't figure it out ask my teammates or managers then DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT
    Some issues just can't be googled
  • Options
    TechxWizardTechxWizard Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ive been doing helpdesk for a year and im not the biggest fan. the worst part for me is taking work home (during on call) people expect things to magically fix themselves. Explaining to a end user that they neglected to get an antivirus and pay for a disaster recovery package. now their whole system is screwed because a virus deleted their software DB sucks. Now i have to walk them through backing up all their patient data, software configs and licenses. help them reload back to factory, manually install SQL and all the instances, install Xray software and archive software. import data. By the time im done with all this, it has been a week and thats only 1 support ticket out of 25 or so we get a day. the stress level is too high and the pay is disgraceful.

but to answer your question, I flat out tell them, im doing the best I can to resolve this. this system went from fully functioning to not working and the only thing standing between this pc and your xray equipment is you... (they usually hate hearing that) I dont see myself in helpdesk too long. im just stuck here for the experience. on top of my helpdesk duties on the phone, im the guy that everyones computer problem goes to. really annoying. considering we have 2 more helpdesk people that work from home. one day i will blow a head gasket and demand to work from home everyday or walk. but until them, the bills gotta get paid and so do I.....
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bchen2 wrote: »
    As its part of entry level IT, how do you deal with an angry user while helping them solve their computer problem?
    A shovel, two tarps, and a few bags of cement...

In all seriousness, I try to place myself in my customer's shoes and try to approach all answers the way I would like them to be presented to me. So far, that has worked very well.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Ask him if he has a filter in placed for the phone and the DSL line. If yes, ask him to disconnect it and then put it back in.
    meh
  • Options
    IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Always listen my friend, never cut them off when they explain/rant/vent.

Part of a help desk job is to absorb the emotional stress of a customer/user.

But never internalize it. Kind of like a memory foam. LOL hope that makes sense.
    :study:
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends. If the issue is genuine I will sympathize and try my best. Some users however there is no help for. What I have learned working help desk is that some people are just spiteful and hateful people. Those are few in between. Most you can make smile by the end of the call but there will always be a handful who are just vile. Don't let them get to you. Just acknowledge, sympathize, and try your best to help them.
  • Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    It depends on the situations but in my well over 17 years on the job in desktop support level 2 experience, I have had many many situations like this and I just stay calm and listen to the issue and show you care about the issue at hand. I show the user I will be the one to solve their issue or if I don't have an answer right then I let them know I will be researching and get back to them as soon as it's possible depending whether this is a severity 1 issue of course. I have had a way of calming lots of situations and it just comes in time sometimes.
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    Sometimes people just need to complain. Listen, empathize. "I can see where that would be frustrating. I am going to do my best to get this problem solved for you." Remember that YOU control your mood. Stay calm and don't escalate with them. Also, if a previous tech messed up- don't speak poorly of them. You are a team- all you need to say is, "I'm really sorry that that happened." and move on with the troubleshooting process.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    E Double U wrote: »
    I just remain calm because the user is not angry at me so nothing personal. I let them get it all out while I listen, repeat what I've been told to ensure the user that I understand the issue, and then I advise on my plan of action.

Looks like you are familiar with the L.I.S.T system. Most people are not up on this one anymore but it can be very effective with a good understanding and practice.

Listen, Indicate understanding, solicit information, tell what will happen.

This is a great answer for the interview question on how to deal with the angry customer.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Diffuse/de–escalate the situation, add value by providing exceptional customer service. Let them know that you're there to help.
  • Options
    myfddream30myfddream30 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry but that is absolute bull. No IT person should have to deal with rude or angry end users. We are here to assist them because they don't know crap about fixing their own problem. They should show patience and respect.. Don't put out that myth that you have to stay calm and just literally take their abuse. If an end user is being a bully, then the technician have every right report the issue and not deal with it according to their employers policy.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm sorry but that is absolute bull. No IT person should have to deal with rude or angry end users. We are here to assist them because they don't know crap about fixing their own problem. They should show patience and respect.. Don't put out that myth that you have to stay calm and just literally take their abuse. If an end user is being a bully, then the technician have every right report the issue and not deal with it according to their employers policy.

There are no "shoulds".

I have encountered rude/angry/impatient/disrespectful people in my personal and professional life and I must say that my calm nature has always diffused those situations. My sense of humor and thick skin also helps. :)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's ridiculous because they are treating you like you broke their stupid computer (or program or whatever) when your actually trying to HELP them. The problem is usually between the keyboard and chair anyway. All in all best to stay calm and do your best.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes people just need to complain. Listen, empathize. "I can see where that would be frustrating. I am going to do my best to get this problem solved for you." Remember that YOU control your mood. Stay calm and don't escalate with them. Also, if a previous tech messed up- don't speak poorly of them. You are a team- all you need to say is, "I'm really sorry that that happened." and move on with the troubleshooting process.

I definitely agree with this. After you let them vent and empathize a bit, you can typically just try to continue to troubleshoot and 99% of the time they're usually understanding. It does depend on the culture a little bit. If everyone is high-strung and it's a bad environment, then it's more like 80%, but people are people. They usually just want to work and move on.
  • Options
    Modern LegacyModern Legacy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been working Helpdesk far longer than I should have, not a huge fan at all anymore, the challenge is gone, I'm bored out of my wits, same old problems, always get a reputation as a miracle worker that sets the precedent, so of course, I deal with a lot of people who get mightily cranky as soon as they hear I can't part the red sea and bring god down himself to replace their hard disk with a touch of his golden finger!

Some people come off as tough-guy/gal in e-mail, those folks usually just become nice as soon as I show up on site, I'm a bit intimidating (I'm a big guy) in person without even wanting or trying to be. Cool thing about this is as soon as I can find some common ground I can build some rapport with the person as well as let the empathy begin - it just makes it all the easier afterward. Turned a lot of situations around that way.

Usually I just focus on the issue at hand though and getting the person unblocked so they can go about their duties. Let them rant and vent all they want, give them the space to do so and they usually feel better. If I'm feeling a bit more...er...snarky that day I'll usually bite my tongue till it bleeds in the name of "customer service" - but that's one reason I'm looking at getting out of helpdesk. 10-ish years of this and it's time to look at more back end facing roles. I definatley have the experience, just need the certs.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree 100% with bloodshotbetty...most of the time people just need to feel heard. Look at an angry or upset end user as a chance to build relationships with that user/department. It's a great chance to give them some WOW service and leave a great impression of your department with that user.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would let them vent. My personal limit is verbal abuse, or threats of violence; in that situation I am offering a service, but I would kindly inform them I will be back/call back when they calm down. I've only had to do that twice in 16 years.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used to boop boop the Avaya 6510. That usually made my headaches go away.