Options

Long time lurker currently studying for CCENT

SkandiluzSkandiluz Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys!

I've browsed this forum (mostly in the CompTIA part) for a while and I started studying for the net+ about 6 months ago using the exam cram. I eventually lost interest because I felt it wasn't really teaching me anything, not in a sense that I knew everything but that it was just throwing words, acronyms, charts etc. and saying "memorize this". Long story short, I stopped studying for it. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago when a Database friend of mine told me that I should focus on something vendor specific and he suggested Cisco, which I've never really bothered to touch since my undergrad days. After reading and browsing the Cisco forum for about two weeks, I decided to order the CCENT/CCNA official cert guide by Wendell Odom on Monday and I just received it today!

I'm super excited to start going through this book but honestly, this book is heavier than both of my network+ books, so it is a bit intimidating. My aim is to take my cert in two months, providing all goes well, and I can subnet pretty decently but no where near that 30 seconds or less. I'll be asking quite a few questions and I do like how everyone is extremely helpful here. :D

*Side note* The name "skandiluz" is my ign for games because I thought it was pretty fitting. Most people now call me skandi or skandz for short.

Comments

• Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Hey man, good luck on your CCENT/CCNA studies! I am studying for mine right now, have the Wendell odom book, Todd Lammle book and exam cram and so far going through the subnetting chapter in lamlee's book. A little slow going but it is clicking. That odom book is a thick one and can be a little intimidating at first.
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's awesome and unique at the same time! I'm studying for my CCNA after having my CCENT for over a year now. I have that book as well and it's pretty decent, but sometimes books (especially tech ones) make me sleepy. If you have the time for watching videos, GNS3 has the CCNA Routing and Switching, Security, Wireless and Voice as well as a few CCNP classes. Here, all of the courses are under $100. The video quality is nothing to run home about, but it's a great start. http://academy.gns3.com
  • Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Almost forgot!!! Their site has a special launch offer! Use the coupon code BETA2015 to take any course for $15!!
  • Options
    Hey man, good luck on your CCENT/CCNA studies! I am studying for mine right now, have the Wendell odom book, Todd Lammle book and exam cram and so far going through the subnetting chapter in lamlee's book. A little slow going but it is clicking. That odom book is a thick one and can be a little intimidating at first.

It's very intimidating lol. When I read the net+ I just couldn't get involved in it. I didn't feel like I was actually going to use anything, side for TCP/IP protocols, layers, addressing, that usual stuff. The way the book is laid out is kind of like "Here's the Microsoft way to do xyz. Here's Apple's way and here's Linux's way. Got it? Cool. Moving on" and you're just like "What... did I actually read?" Haha. Good luck with your studies bro =)

MrPuzzlez wrote:
    That's awesome and unique at the same time! I'm studying for my CCNA after having my CCENT for over a year now. I have that book as well and it's pretty decent, but sometimes books (especially tech ones) make me sleepy. If you have the time for watching videos, GNS3 has the CCNA Routing and Switching, Security, Wireless and Voice as well as a few CCNP classes. Here, all of the courses are under $100. The video quality is nothing to run home about, but it's a great start. http://academy.gns3.com

Almost forgot!!! Their site has a special launch offer! Use the coupon code BETA2015 to take any course for $15!!
  • Options
    DeyColeDeyCole Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome and good luck with your studies. Along with asking questions, use the search feature...you'll find a lot of info in previous posts as well. It's helped me tremendously.

I'm studying for CCENT as well, using Odom's ICND1 book. It's very thick indeed...I read it in small chunks everyday, makes it easier to digest.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Earning your CCNA in the next 2 months 'seems' a bit unrealistic...

/shrug
  • Options
    DeyCole wrote:

Welcome and good luck with your studies. Along with asking questions, use the search feature...you'll find a lot of info in previous posts as well. It's helped me tremendously.

I'm studying for CCENT as well, using Odom's ICND1 book. It's very thick indeed...I read it in small chunks everyday, makes it easier to digest.

Thanks! I use the search function quite a bit so that won't be a problem
    volfkhat wrote:
    Earning your CCNA in the next 2 months 'seems' a bit unrealistic...

/shrug

I wouldn't doubt that, however, I said I was studying for the CCENT as stated in my title.
  • Options
    routingsparksroutingsparks Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jamesweb wrote: »

Good luck man, keep pushing at it! I know when I started studying subnetting made me super nervous, now I'm looking forward to it. It was such a relief when it finally clicked haha.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Someone else on here recently did their CCENT in 5 weeks and didn't even start with a solid foundation. 2 months is more than enough if you are diligent and motivated.