Options

Does anyone recomend ITT Tech?

2»

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Met a guy who owed 120k in student loans. He went to ITT for multiple degrees. He will die before that debt is paid.
    His job paid about 40k a year.

However Ive met a handful of guys who really know their stuff and went to ITT.

There's a new law now I believe if you have no missed/late payments over 10 years, they'll waive your school debt. At least he has that. :D
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    I've heard the horrible things about ITT Tech but since I don't have any first hand knowledge of the school I can't say that it's bad.

However I do have some experiences with people who went there. A guy I grew up with who was around 10 years older than me went to ITT tech and accrued a horribly ugly amount of debt. I don't think he could find a job at all and his debt was so large that his wife and children left him. I'm sure that there was more to the story but it sounds bad.

On the flip side however the college I got my AAS degree at hosts a cyber defense competition for the pacific northwest and I was part of the team. We hosted 14 other schools from a few states. Our school came in 6th. We thought University of Washington would win cause they had won the past few years, but the winner turned out to be ITT tech's team from Boise, ID.

Strange, but they must not be all bad.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    jargavetjargavet Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITT grad here: Avoid it all costs.
    Accreditation:
    • Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges & Schools (ACICS)
    Regional accreditation is what WGU and traditional brick and mortar schools have. Your credits may not transfer.
    I have applied to a state University will see if any of my credits/degree transfer over.

The price is astronomical, I had 1 year of prior credits and still ended up with 20k of debt.

Some of the professors are really good, This depends on where you live and how vibrant the tech ecosystem is. A Palo Alto ITT probably has better professors than say one in Lawton, Oklahoma.

Career services: This is 100% dependant on who is in that position. I had an excellent Career Services lady, you may not be so lucky. She was actually going around to local business and saying "hey do you guys need any IT people"

Most importantly
    Remember it is a for profit college...
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    jargavet wrote: »
    ITT grad here: Avoid it all costs.
    Accreditation:
    • Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges & Schools (ACICS)
    Regional accreditation is what WGU and traditional brick and mortar schools have. Your credits may not transfer.
    I have applied to a state University will see if any of my credits/degree transfer over.

The price is astronomical, I had 1 year of prior credits and still ended up with 20k of debt.

Some of the professors are really good, This depends on where you live and how vibrant the tech ecosystem is. A Palo Alto ITT probably has better professors than say one in Lawton, Oklahoma.

Career services: This is 100% dependant on who is in that position. I had an excellent Career Services lady, you may not be so lucky. She was actually going around to local business and saying "hey do you guys need any IT people"

Most importantly
    Remember it is a for profit college...

I can understand all the arguments against college's like ITT and DeVry but the fact that they are for profit is just semantics. In this day of Higher education there are plenty of Private and State schools paying professors 100k plus a year to teach 1 class while they do some form of research. It might cost 50k a year to attend that school. Really it comes down to what are your choices and what is the value no matter what the motive of the institution. I have known a few friends who came out of these schools and did well for themselves. I have known others for which it was a bust. But that was the same as the State school I went to. College cost in general has run amok so base your choice on what will be effective for you.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While working in this field I have met a few people who have graduated from ITT and none of them are working anything beyond an entry-level job even after years of experience. I attended a degree mill much like ITT for a while and dropped out after a few months. I had done a few job interviews and landed my first desktop support job while still attending there. IT managers were always telling me they don't hire people from degree mills. At various jobs I have met people who studied in the same program as me and graduated, they always tell me to GTFO and fast. Usually they say just to cert up and get out. Pretty much everyone in my interviews was telling me that too. I'm lazy and have only received my A+ but I've been able to move up quite a bit with the skills I have learned on the job meanwhile everyone I knew from the degree mill are either working first level helpdesk type jobs or had to go back to school and switch careers. This is just my experience what I have seen in and around Silicon Valley though so your experiences may vary elsewhere. If I could do it all over again and I absolutely needed that degree I would have just done community college and transferred to a four year. Otherwise waste of cash and time.
  • Options
    ac1d12a1nac1d12a1n Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looked briefly at it, but decided to go with WGU
    Feel free to add me on LinkedIn! https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshprew
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Russell77 wrote: »
    I can understand all the arguments against college's like ITT and DeVry but the fact that they are for profit is just semantics. In this day of Higher education there are plenty of Private and State schools paying professors 100k plus a year to teach 1 class while they do some form of research. It might cost 50k a year to attend that school. Really it comes down to what are your choices and what is the value no matter what the motive of the institution. I have known a few friends who came out of these schools and did well for themselves. I have known others for which it was a bust. But that was the same as the State school I went to. College cost in general has run amok so base your choice on what will be effective for you.

This is patently false. A typical for-profit may allocate their budget with 1/3 each on marketing, profit, and actual education. Many allocate well under 20% of their total budget towards education. There is no way they can offer the same value for money as a nonprofit school. The numbers just wouldn't add up.

There is always a better option than falling victim to a for-profit school.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I would be wary of any higher education institution that claims they can train or prepare one for an IT career. That goes for any for-profit school or a 4 year public/state college. All of them are there for one thing, profit. They are a business and don't care about the products they create, which are students.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    This is an eye opening list of how much money the Non Profit? colleges are sitting on.

College and University Endowments 2015 Edition (2013 to 2014 Numbers)
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a friend who went to ITT Tech and graduated. Last I checked he was working two jobs... back in 2005 I actually got duped into going to computertraining.com. Ended up paying $35k in loans. Luckily they're paid off now and I learned my lesson. Man was that place a joke...
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!