Options

The return value of a good home lab

PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
Earlier this year I decided to take a break from studying for certifications and built a new computer to be a part of my home lab. i7, 32GB ram, terabytes of storage in RAID 5. Installed ESXi and vCenter so that I could run many virtual machines at once.I've been able to lab advancted topics that I've wanted to do in the past but couldn't on my crappy i5, 4gb PC. Over the past few months I've learned a lot by completing projects on topics such as Windows Server, Powershell, Linux configuration management/automation, VMware virtualization, software defined networking, Windows/Linux security/log management, network forensics, penetration testing, various vendor appliances (Checkpoint, Cisco ASA/Nexus, Sophos) and much more.

It was pricey to build the PC, but it was completely worth every penny. I've gotten more out of my home lab than I would have by focusing only on studying for certs. If you don't have a home lab, invest in one. It pays off with the enormous amount of knowledge you can acquire via hands-on learning.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I absolutely agree with your sentiments. There is no substitute for actual hands-on experience. A good solid lab is a must in IT.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've bought Cisco switches because dynamips doesn't emulate them and IOU doesn't support all the features, but I can't justify buying real routers just yet. I don't need hands on experience with cabling and racking. Maybe when I get around to Voice I will buy some real phones.
  • Options
    vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I completely agree. Studying from a book is great but nothing beats hands-on experience with a lab. Definitely worth the investment.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I've started my business, moved into senior positions and had large pay advancements due to having a lab. I was making 27hr when I 1st starting building my lab in 2008. I make a few pennies more now and I've put in 10K into my lab. Great return on investment for me.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related