Options

Iris vs. Retina Scans

Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Notice in Official Guide 4th edition -

Page 893 - Iris scanning is the most accurate biometric technology.
Page 894 - Retina scan devices are probably the most accurate biometric available today

So contradictory statements, to my knowledge Iris Scan is the most accurate.

Comments are welcomed...

Comments

• Options
    tuabuikiatuabuikia Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shon Harris' AIO also confirms that iris scan is by far the most accurate. Pg. 191. It says that iris remains constant throughout adulthood which reduces the type of errors that can happen during the authentication process. It goes on to say that sampling the iris offers more reference coordinates than any other type of biometric. Mathematically this means it has a higher accuracy potential than any other type of biometric.
  • Options
    justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IIRC, retina scan results can change from the original baseline scan, due to health factors (i.e. pregnancy, diabetes, etc.). I remember reading this can also lead to HIPAA issues, if those managing the biometric scans realize this and start commenting on the potentially inferred sensitive information, such as 'Sally might be pregnant' or 'maybe Joe has diabetes-related retinopathy'.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sam_aqua wrote: »
    Page 894 - Retina scan devices are probably the most accurate biometric available today

Without having the 4th edition in front of me right now, I am guessing that the statements are consistent assuming the authors do not believe that iris scans are currently available - so, emphasize "available TODAY" and you should be fine.

E.g. - Iris scans are the most accurate, period. However, retina scans are the most accurate available today...
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you saying Iris scan technology is not available today?
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure about the book. But Iris scanners are preferred over Retina scanner as Retina scanner is a longer enrollment process. Retina is also very invasive procedure needing long sitting time to enroll properly. Iris is 5 minute procedure. Plenty of places to get Iris scanners. Another good read....A Survey of Biometrics Security Systems
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Without having the 4th edition in front of me right now, I am guessing that the statements are consistent assuming the authors do not believe that iris scans are currently available - so, emphasize "available TODAY" and you should be fine.

E.g. - Iris scans are the most accurate, period. However, retina scans are the most accurate available today...

That would be a very wrong statement. I worked in Afghanistan in 2007 with the BAT program (insert joke here)... the Biometrics Automated Toolset. Collects fingerprints and iris scans... fingerprints were great for comparing latent prints on IED fragments, and finding a match when Jihadi Joe tries to get a job digging ditches on base. Happened/s ALL the time. The iris scans were useful as well - after an event (IED, security sweep, etc.) they would capture the biometrics of locals, and search for patterns... someone whose eyeball (iris) has been standing around the last 3 IED incidents, is probably someone you want to have a conversation with, to see if they have really bad luck, or if they are the lookout. Iris scans are also used to verify the identity of local workers coming into the gate everyday, so badges are really just a formality.

We used crossmatch fingerprint and iris scanners, another one was called HIIDE (Handheld Interagency Identity Detection Equipment) that could capture both, and hold a local DB to search for matches on. see here: http://www.gizmag.com/hiide-portable-biometric-device/15144/
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally don't think ISC2 would check a candidate about what is available today ... however, what is most accurate would be something of interest here .. So I still go with Iris Scanner..
  • Options
    cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sam_aqua wrote: »
    Notice in Official Guide 4th edition -

So contradictory statements, to my knowledge Iris Scan is the most accurate.

Comments are welcomed...

Good read. I would not have analyzed to that level of detail had nobody point it out. Though you're not the first who raised exactly this point:
    Amazon.com: D. Gillette's review of Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fo...
  • Options
    forestgumpforestgump Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For those who are coming here in 2017, following is form the 7th edition book,

Retina Scans
    Retina scans focus on the pattern of blood vessels at the back of the eye.
    They are the most accurate form of biometric authentication and are able to differentiate
    between identical twins...

Iris Scans
    Focusing on the colored area around the pupil, iris scans are the second
    most accurate form of biometric authentication. Iris scans are often recognized as having
    a longer useful authentication...