Options

Networking Career Path with thoughts on Japan

Ambc1c91Ambc1c91 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings and Salutations to Everyone,

I am coming here for some advice. I am a 28 years old and I have been in the IT field for the last 5+ years. I have attempted to receive higher education, but never completed my BS degree due to life and its many ups and downs. I have rack up to much student loan debt (in my opinion) to even consider going back to college. I have an 8 year old son and a 6 month old daughter which doesn’t leave me with much time in the day. Most of my roles have been service desk/help desk roles. I am studying for my A+ and Network+ exams, I plan to take my A+ exam this coming September. I would love to find a position in the Networking area of IT that allows me to travel at least 30% of the year.

Is locating a position like this possible?

What career path should I take to make this a reality?

My ultimate goal is to be able to visit Japan at least once a year or even possibly move there with my family. I would like to find a job which has a pay scale in between $50k and $75k.

Please assist me with the best networking career that may provide this or at least help me find the correct path to such a job.

Comments

• Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With thoughts on Japan, it can be very hard to move to another country for work, especially with a family. The east coast has opportunities you just have to find them. We have members here from the east coast (and all over) perhaps they can point you in the right direction. For now, you should buckle down and study as often as possible. Some level of formal schooling will always help. Even if you go back to finish an AS, it's better then nothing. AS+Certs+Exp and you should be okay. -Good luck man. Let us know if you need any help.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    If you want to go to Japan, go to Japan. Its a free world (at least where we live). It might be difficult but you should explore the possibilities. Just plan it out carefully. I would take above poster's suggestion and settle down now here in the States, get a job in a NOC somewhere - study and advance to get experience with networking gear. Get some experience in as network engineer then go to Japan and companies there will welcome you with open arms I bet.

Take the few years you'll be spending here to learn up the language as well. I hear its not one of the easier languages to learn.