Options

Pursuing a Networking Career?

i_am_jadei_am_jade Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a fresh computer engineering grad from the Philippines. I want to pursue a networking carrer. As of the moment, i am preparing myself for the CCNA exam 2weeks from now.

I have this question, how to be a good network engineer? and how to land a job as network engineer? when every company i know are looking for an experienced engineer. how could fresh grads get the chance to have that "EXPERIENCE" when we are not given the chance to be hire bcoz of lack of experience. Hope you guys get me. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Congrats on your graduation and on choosing the network engineering field.
    There is not a single pre-defined track to become a "good" network engineer. But one common trait is patience and hard work. I know this is a cliché. But I saw people from Mechanical engineering and Arts and Journalism backgrounds become worldwide famous. What does that tell you?
    Take it one step at a time. Take your time to learn CCNA syllabus. It's the foundations.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We weren't born with experience. Everyone with experience at one point had none. So that tells you companies WILL hire someone with no experience, it's just really hard to find them. You may have to refine your searches. For instance, start looking for NOC type roles where you will exposed to the equipment. Or maybe something like "Jr. Network Admin". What you're looking for is something with basically 0-2 years experience. The CCNA R&S should get you a foot in the door somewhere, after that it's all on you.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My networking career started when I landed a NOC role in June 2006 and I only had CompTIA/Microsoft certs at the time. My IT experience prior to that was 2+ years of building/delivering/installing pc's and 2 -3 months of pc refreshment (back up data, take away old pc, set up new pc, move data/programs to new machine). I also had a helpdesk internship in college that lasted for less than a year (all I did was open tickets).

Someone took a chance on me without any Cisco experience so the same will happen for you. Hiring people with less experience that are trainable is ideal because employers can give them a lower salary than someone that does have experience. So don't worry - there will be someone willing to exploit, I mean employ you in no time. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    E Double U wrote: »
    So don't worry - there will be someone willing to exploit, I mean employ you in no time. :D

Just if you get a proposal for a job post it on here so we can give you pointers to know if they truly are low-balling you. Know your worth, if they want you see how much they want to pay you. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    As everyone said you just need someone to give you your chance. Once you have that get all the experience you can but if I had to say anything to learn how to be a good network engineer is learn how to troubleshoot.

Anyone can learn to build a network but you need to understand it and how it works, flows, and reacts based on the results and commands you see to be very good at it.