Studying with E-books v books

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

Does anyone have an opinion regarding studying with books or e-books?

I've recently became a bit of a roamer, so had to sell a good few books and keeping cert books in work. I was about to go on a book spending spree and buy a Python and Wireshark book before seeing the lower priced ebook versions.

Are e-books just as easy to study with then traditional books? With ebooks being much smaller, is it a hassle with viewing examples, diagrams etc? An alternative is just to buy a second hand notebook, but not sure if the hassle of always charging and bulk is worth it.

Kai.

Comments

• SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I prefer ebooks, i used to buy hard copy books but it gets ridiculous because you can just have so many of them.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Studying from books for me just clicks, unlike learning from ebooks- unless is it is some kind of taks/practice with list of steps to follow. There's something about flipping pages back and forth that feels natural.
    I have a fair amount of study ebooks but I end up taking hand-written notes on paper anyway.
    Storage becomes an issue, like SpetsRepair said, but I'd rather have a hard copy than an ebook.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do prefer paper books, but one nice thing about e-books are that the diagrams are usually in color.
  • OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like the instant delivery of ebooks, also easier while travelling
    The world chico, and everything in it
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel like ebooks are easier to read for long periods of time (I feel more eye strain when reading a book vs a computer screen). I think the backing light in the monitor keeps me focused. Also, they're cheaper. So there's that. And if I'm trying to type up notes it's much easier to just have the ebook on one screen and my notes on the other. It's much more efficient than trying to balance the physical book on top of my hands while I type.

BUT, despite all this, I'm a sucker for physical books, because I just like the idea of filling up a bookshelf. 90% of the time I go with a physical copy instead of an ebook. icon_cheers.gif
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    I mostly always use e ebooks, I find them more convenient and don't find any difference in absorbing knowledge whether it be paper or electronic.

They are so much handier, if you have a spare 20 minutes you can take your phone/tablet out and get stuck in, beats carrying huge networking books etc around everywhere with you.
  • yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I definitely prefer actual paper books but I recently started buying e-books just because they can be accessed anywhere. Most of us are infront of a computer screen anyway and having a book open on your desk while at work just don't fly.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Studies show that humans absorb information from paper books better than e-books. I guess it makes sense. I find the biggest problem with reading is my lack of concentration. I'm so used to a world filled with beeps, messages & interruptions I can no longer focus well.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I prefer paper vs. ebooks. Ebooks require my iPad which means I get distracted easily and find myself doing things other than studying. IE: Clash of Clans. Plus there's just something about the feel of a real book that feels better to me than a cold electronic device.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    I'll always prefer physical books. Not just for IT, but for recreational reading. That said, I greatly value the pros of an E-Books. Just more easier to organize, available on the cloud, can read them at work, etc.

My collection is probably going to be split between physical and electronics in the coming future.
  • eSenpaieSenpai Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Constantly torn by this when planning my studying because I learn faster, retain more and prefer physical books but e-books are just WAY more convenient and usually less costly. When studying for a cert, I now have one e-book that I can always have on me and a different physical book which I keep at home for proper studying. The physical book is usually the recommended/best reviewed study guide while the e-book is usually the second best recommended tome.

For recreational reading, it is all e-books now since I am out of space in the bookshelves and I can carry as many e-books as I want. No more trying to guess-ti-mate how many books I will need on vacation; just take them all. icon_wink.gif
    Working On:
    2018 - ITIL(SO, SS, SD, ST, CSI), Linux
    2019 - ITIL MALC, AWS Architect, CCSP, LPI-2, TOGAF
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I like to have both that way one copy can stay at work or come with me when I travel. Also since I use a Mac it's so easy to take screenshots and put them into my notes.
  • beatfreakerbeatfreaker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a good question as I'm always debating whether to get the ebook vs paper when purchasing new books. Although it seems like I retain better from physical book, the lesser of two evils prevails here. Portability vs convenience as I can always find 30 mins here and there to read.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I prefer ebooks but I am leaning towards going back to paper books. With a paper book I don't find myself starting up Hearthstone.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @=Kai123

Prefer ebook for the portability and convenience.
    A 10-inch (or bigger) tablet is about the size of a book; I can read an entire page comfortably without zooming in. Find it difficult to read ebooks on smaller display. A good display helps, make sure your device has high resolution aka "retina display". Most cert books have web links; so it is easier to copy out the text or click on a link in the eBook. Regardless, I still take notes on paper. Battery life is OK, and I usually charge my tablets overnight.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like ebooks more. In most of my ebooks, you can search the document or navigate to chapters more quickly. In my Microsoft ebooks, sometimes there are links to TechNet articles that I can simply click on, as opposed to typing them out manually from a printed book. Plus I don't want to lug around a 700+ page book every time I want to study.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I am a fan of paper books the most but I came to love ebooks for studying.

I use an 8 inch tablet and ezPDFReader. I can book mark things of importance with a name and go back to it easy with an idea what that bookmark means. I can highlight text in my books as well to quickly see what I need off that page and I don't have to haul a 1200 page Cisco book with me on a train.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really like ebooks and the fact you can easily take them anywhere is a big advantage.

However, I am also quite old school and prefer learning from physical books I can scrawl and make actual handwritten scribble notes in
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    ebooks all the way, but it has to be on a proper reader if I am reading for a great length of time plus no distractions as all it does is display books, I used to read on a nexus tablet but it is very easy to get distracted.

I treated my self to the new kindle voyage and can happily read for a couple of hours without any eye strain or distraction and also means I have them on my computer for reference if need be.
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I prefer E-books mainly because its much easier to copy and paste/edit notes taken directly from the text of the book, as opposed to having a real book and having to write whole sentences down...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I may end up picking up a Kindle just for reading, going to read up on the different models. I like using my iPad for PDF files because it is easier to select text, highlight, add notes, etc.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Ebooks 100%. Ctrl + F as others have stated and if you have 2 monitors, its very helpful to be able to look to your right or left to view the ebook instead of looking down and back up when studying (assuming you're labbing while you study).
  • successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100,
    You could just use the kindle app on your Ipad I believe instead of buying an Kindle?
    https://www.goodreads.com/ereaders/90-kindle-for-ipad

(I use the Nook app on my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet)
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I personally tried the E-books on my Kindle Fire but having a big hardcover has a feeling to me that I like.

Reading those pages and watch you get to the middle of the book and then 3/4 of the way thru and then finally the last chapter feels like an accomplishment all to itself. As many know our IT self-study books aren't 'small' and typically have 400+ pages.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For regular reading, I prefer physical books but for lab workbooks I prefer e-books. Much easier to follow along than to constantly have to look up/look down.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went into my local IT store to see the prices of a Kindle or Kobo, and saw a 7.1 inch tablet (Archos Xenon 70n) for the same price.

It looks like a good sized tablet with an e-reader app looks like the way to go (so I can read non-fiction without serious strain, and then textbooks without losing any colour in diagrams). I'm assuming there's no issue with various format support for various e-books.

I cant read or study on my PC due to all the distractions. I can happily read a book though. If I get a tablet I'd have to destroy the network adapter driver and rely on uploading books via USB :D
  • piedthepiperpiedthepiper Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I prefer physical books, if the ebook is printable and a reasonable size then bonous.

for quick reference ebooks are better, but I love highlighting and marking bits, and its just not the same with ebooks.
    I also spend long periods staring at a screen.....so havign a physical book is a nice break!
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I may end up picking up a Kindle just for reading, going to read up on the different models. I like using my iPad for PDF files because it is easier to select text, highlight, add notes, etc.

iPad has a fairly decent Kindle app Tpatt100. I have a Kindle and I find the iPad app superior. I find the Kindle dark & I regret not getting the one that lights up a bit. The only problem with an iPad is that it can be heavy holding it to read.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kai123 wrote: »
    I went into my local IT store to see the prices of a Kindle or Kobo, and saw a 7.1 inch tablet (Archos Xenon 70n) for the same price.

It looks like a good sized tablet with an e-reader app looks like the way to go (so I can read non-fiction without serious strain, and then textbooks without losing any colour in diagrams). I'm assuming there's no issue with various format support for various e-books.

The Archos resolution is 1024 x 600. It is not retina display, so small text on the screen may appear jagged or pixelated.
    You need to experience it yourself to decide if this is a important.

Also check the Android version on the Archos. If it is Android 4.2 and below, it will get slower and slower over time. See What is TRIM support in Android 4.3 and why should you care? | Pocketnow. If 4.2, check if there is any upgrade to newer version.

Dedicated ebook readers such as Kindle eBook reader and/or Kobo have good contrast; they are usable in bright sunlight.
    The disadvantage is that you cannot use it as a tablet for other functions such as email, web browsing, YouTube...

Also check the availability of your textbook on different platforms, most support iTunes, Kindle and Google Play store.
    Some are limited to iTunes only.
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    For study I prefer physical books, they end up looking like they lost a fight with a package of highlighters but there is something about me highlighting things that helps me remember it. Its like it automatically commits to my important folder in my brain once I run a highlighter over it. On the other end of the spectrum, if its not for an exam and just an interesting topic I usually go the Ebook route, I like instant gratification.