Options

TCP timout rfc 2018 + rfc 793

dani1999dani1999 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
i ask befor but i find out somthing that not clear.
About TCP let's say that i have 3 segment to send,
Let's say that the cwind start from 1.
So i send segment 1 and get ack, so now the cwind is 2.
Then I send 2+3 , but segment 2 is gone.So i come to TIMEOUT (so cwind down to 1)
now what will happend?I ask before and see rfc 2018 and according to this article TCP Selective Acknowledgments (SACK) - PacketLife.net i understand that...
if i not use on SACK(on option on TCP) . so i will need send again 2+3 segment
but... someone told me that this artile is not correct because on rfc 793 (and not change from then) i will need send again only the 2 segment
on rfc 793
RETRANSMISSION TIMEOUT
For any state if the retransmission timeout expires on a segment in
the retransmission queue, send the segment at the front of the
retransmission queue again, reinitialize the retransmission timer,

and return.

and what i get from there that when i send segment number 2 i will get ack on 2+3
( so i need send only segment 2)
but on the article on
packetlife i understand that the recevier not save the segment 3 so i need send 2+3
i dont use SACK

who is right?(or this arcticle is right but not talk on timeout? i not think so)
i need prove that base on rfc
thanks!

Comments

• Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well RFC 793 was written in 1981, and RFC 2018 was written in 1996 and was an addition of sorts to TCP, so the selective acknowledgement option is a valid option and can be use to prevent a receiver from having to receive the same packets multiple times just because a packet was lost or arrived late. Without selective acknowledgement if three segments were transmitted from host A to host B, and segment 2 was lost, then segment 2 and 3 would have to be retransmitted and received by host B. Now with selective acknowledgement in the same scenario, host B can just ask for another copy of segment 2, with no need to get another copy of segment 3.