Options

Avaya deskphone 1230 help please

Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Could anyone help please? Got some new Avaya phones for one of our remote offices but just trying to set them up at main office first.

Out of the box they boot up then start DHCP.....
Start TFTP downloading then set upgrade failed.
Phones then reboot and constantly get stuck in this loop- they are currently plugged into the network so should be getting correct DHCP settings etc (never had any problems before)

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you know for sure they are hitting your TFTP server? Maybe they are timing out, rebooting, then trying to download again.
  • Options
    No they aren't getting that far, never a problem in the past and nothings changed. We've got a maintenance contract with BT for the BCM system so when they bother to come out and check/sort things I'll update it here. They seem to think its a firmware issue on the 4 new handsets....
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Are the working phones running the same firmware version as the 4 new hand sets?

In the system are phone's MAC addresses setup for the local LAN at the remote offices?
  • Options
    Hi CompuTron99 thanks for reply,

All settings seem to be correct set up at central location to pull firmware etc down from the BCM (exactly same as we always have done and worked previously), then once done all we normally do is change the dhcp and dns settings for them to work 'off site' then. TFTP server is the BCM system and all settings seem to be right.

I've spoken to supposed VOIP and BCM experts at BT and they seem to offer nothing, no meaningful troubleshooting steps either. Supposed to be getting an engineer out so will keep you posted. Maybe the factory firmware on the new phones is newer than the ones on our BCM and other phones that seems to be the only difference.
  • Options
    negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi CompuTron99 thanks for reply,

All settings seem to be correct set up at central location to pull firmware etc down from the BCM (exactly same as we always have done and worked previously), then once done all we normally do is change the dhcp and dns settings for them to work 'off site' then. TFTP server is the BCM system and all settings seem to be right.

I've spoken to supposed VOIP and BCM experts at BT and they seem to offer nothing, no meaningful troubleshooting steps either. Supposed to be getting an engineer out so will keep you posted. Maybe the factory firmware on the new phones is newer than the ones on our BCM and other phones that seems to be the only difference.

Hi there,
    What happens with these sets (and mostly all of the legacy Nortel IP sets 11XX series ones) is that the firmware files seem to have a digital certificate with an expiry date on it. If the phone tries to download the FW but it picks up the date as expired, the FW download fails and the phones just cycle on forever and ever. What system are you using? CS1000 or Avaya CM? On the CS1000 you usually fix this by downloading the latest possible UNISTIM firmware pack for said phone model, load it up onto the Signaling Server (via Element Manager), reboot the phone to factory defaults (Factory Reset Nortel IP Phone) and the phones will then pick up the new FW and work fine. It might be different depending on the system you're using.
    Let me know if it works for you.

EDIT: just saw that you're using a BCM system. Get the engineer that's visiting to download the latest UNISTIM firmware from the Avaya Support site (support.avaya.com) - he should have login credentials there - and load it up onto your BCM. This is just an example of a new UNISTIM firmware pack release with the firmware names for each IP phone model..there might be newer ones..make sure you download one compatible with your BCM release (page 5): https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100152833
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • Options
    Thanks for your help negru_tudor! Good to hear from a Voice professional, I am fairly new to it and trying to wing it with a system I inherited that no one wants to upgrade. Picking up info where I can anyhow.

For what it is worth we are running an old BCM450 which BT barely support now. We had an engineer out early in the new year to sort out the firmware before as it was ancient, currently running FW 062AC8J which I am guessing isn't anywhere near the most recent, but it works and everything has been ok so far this year.

Just hoping the engineer comes out soon so I can shadow him and get the latest firmware etc sorted out. Sure they will try to get us to move to IP Office again anyhow.

EDIT: Just checked your download link and the FW on the 1230 handsets seems to be the recent one, maybe need the actual BCM firmware updating?
  • Options
    Thanks for your help negru_tudor! Good to hear from a Voice professional, I am fairly new to it and trying to wing it with a system I inherited that no one wants to upgrade. Picking up info where I can anyhow.

For what it is worth we are running an old BCM450 which BT barely support now. We had an engineer out early in the new year to sort out the firmware before as it was ancient, currently running FW 062AC8J which I am guessing isn't anywhere near the most recent, but it works and everything has been ok so far this year.

Just hoping the engineer comes out soon so I can shadow him and get the latest firmware etc sorted out. Sure they will try to get us to move to IP Office again anyhow.

EDIT: Just checked your download link and the FW on the 1230 handsets seems to be the recent one, maybe need the actual BCM firmware updating?
    Glad to help out. These BCM can be tricky bastards. You need the same firmware uploaded onto the BCM; if the phones have the newer firmware (lucky shot with the link i sent across) but the BCM has an older one, some of these phones won't downgrade to what the BCM has (happened to me on CS1000 systems)..you'll need the FW uploaded onto the BCM. Can you tell me what release you're running?

EDIT: snippet from the .pdf bulletin I posted above: "The 1200 Series IP Deskphones, 1150E IP Deskphone, and 1165E IP Deskphone are notsupported on BCM 4.0 " ..so if you're on release 4.0 this could very well be your problem..

EDIT2: the IP Office isn't a bad solution you know (and that's coming from a Nortel guy lol). It even has compatible Avaya firmware (SIP and digital) for legacy Nortel sets to run off it..some of the features might work a bit different but you'll save some money from not having to purchase phones. Moreover, the administration interface is easier to get around than the BCM one IMHO.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    Thanks dude, they can be tricky bastards when they want to be, though vast majority of time it runs smoothly- we are a 24/7 operation so that makes a big difference.

BCM450 is running system software 10.0.2.14.236 if that helps you at all?

IP Office sounds like it is worth looking into further, cheers :)
  • Options
    Thanks dude, they can be tricky bastards when they want to be, though vast majority of time it runs smoothly- we are a 24/7 operation so that makes a big difference.

BCM450 is running system software 10.0.2.14.236 if that helps you at all?

IP Office sounds like it is worth looking into further, cheers :)

Yeap, that's the Nortels for you. Those systems can sure take a beating. IP Office is great too but it's never easy migrating/getting a budget together for these things..

Ok, you seem to be on Release 6.0 so I suspect those phones might have newer FW than your BCM and aren't able to downgrade.

The tech that's visiting needs to install this on your system: BCM450.R600.SU.System-022.201408-1.zip (aprox 93 MB)from the Avaya support website (support.avaya.com). This contains a SU (service update) that includes the latest UNISTIM (FW pack) for these sets. Once the SU is loaded onto the BCM then you ought to be able to reboot them and they should work.

There's another SU that Avaya released in December 2014, that one's about 92 MB in size (patches, fixes etc) (BCM450.R600.SU.System-022.201412-1.zip)..might as well load this one as well; your system should then be up to speed on all patches/fw.

Another thing, it might help running a factory reset on these things. Did you get them new or refurbished?

Hope this helps.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    Brilliant, thanks so much for your help. It's annoying we can't just do it ourselves really as they are taking forever to get someone out and we're on a premium maintenance agreement as well.

Makes sense as to why the new phones won't connect then- the best part is they were purchased new through BT who were supposed to have configured them for our system before shipping them out so they would've/should've known the firmware versions of the current phones and BCM system. I even mentioned that on my many calls to them only to be fobbed off, hence asking for help on here. I'm tempted to try factory resetting one of them just to see......
  • Options
    Brilliant, thanks so much for your help. It's annoying we can't just do it ourselves really as they are taking forever to get someone out and we're on a premium maintenance agreement as well.

Makes sense as to why the new phones won't connect then- the best part is they were purchased new through BT who were supposed to have configured them for our system before shipping them out so they would've/should've known the firmware versions of the current phones and BCM system. I even mentioned that on my many calls to them only to be fobbed off, hence asking for help on here. I'm tempted to try factory resetting one of them just to see......

...well you can do this yourself if you know your way around the BCM GUI...

EDIT: --link removed--

Here's the link with the new SU :) (I took the liberty of downloading it for you in the meantime - might save you a callout fee). Let me know if you need any guidance.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    You sir are a legend.

Thanks very much, will give it a go soon as my manger okays it!
  • Options
    You sir are a legend.

Thanks very much, will give it a go soon as my manger okays it!

Been in tight spots myself & others have helped out so just paying it forward.

If you log into Element Manager, go to the Administration Section , Software, Software Upgrades you should be able to browse your local machine for the SU file & just follow the prompts. You might need a reboot after that. If you don't feel comfy with this I'd wait for the tech to come on site but that's about all there is to it.

Good luck.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    I've downloaded it thanks so feel free to remove the link.

Reluctant to install it just yet as will need to schedule the reboot in if needed, unfortunately people are on the phones here 24/7

Luckily the BCM GUI is the one thing I am more familiar with on this phone system so should be easy enough, thanks again, I owe you a beer if you are ever in the UK icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    I've downloaded it thanks so feel free to remove the link.

Reluctant to install it just yet as will need to schedule the reboot in if needed, unfortunately people are on the phones here 24/7

Luckily the BCM GUI is the one thing I am more familiar with on this phone system so should be easy enough, thanks again, I owe you a beer if you are ever in the UK icon_smile.gif

I know what you mean. We're a 24/7 lot ourselves as well and I'd be reluctant as well if I were in your shoes..either way, you might need to reboot even if the BT lad comes out to do this for you.

Just try to backtrack on the steps and make sure you've identified all the sections you'd need to tick off if deploying by yourself; you might need to unzip the files to a folder on your desktop before browsing to them from the BCM GUI.

Good luck buddy!
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    In case you need the official doc on software updates, page 95 (https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100125308).
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    Thanks buddy- I miss my old 9-5 job some times, lol. You are right though, might as well be prepared for a reboot at 3am one morning!
  • Options
    Thanks buddy- I miss my old 9-5 job some times, lol. You are right though, might as well be prepared for a reboot at 3am one morning!

Lol...I know! If you take a look at step 7. in the above doc. (after you've selected the SU folder) - page 97, you'll see all the patches in a list. Now, there's a column there called "Reebot Req'd" and it will be ticked for any patches requiring a reboot. You can just take it to that step and see if you've any in the list that demand a reboot; if there aren't any with the box ticked, you should be able to go ahead with it; if you have ticked ones (which I'm sure you might as I see some DSP updates as well), you ought to file in a request for a maintenance window.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    Whoooops!

Luckily manager agreed so we cracked on with it........then it rebooted and every phone on our network at all sites did its thing. Passed it off as a BT issue fortunately everything came back up and the new ones now work so thanks so much for your help today buddy!
  • Options
    Whoooops!

Luckily manager agreed so we cracked on with it........then it rebooted and every phone on our network at all sites did its thing. Passed it off as a BT issue fortunately everything came back up and the new ones now work so thanks so much for your help today buddy!

rofl icon_twisted.gif...it's always the carrier's fault! Glad it worked man! Now go have a couple o'drinks & enjoy the weekend! icon_cheers.gif
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • Options
    Cheers buddy, indeed its the carrier's fault, cough cough icon_smile.gif Had a chilled evening with my wife and son just checking here on the mobile, with a beer, for no apparent reason.....

Have a good weekend and thanks again for your help. Told BT to just forget it and the "maintenance" well just sort it in house, ha ha.