Options

Road to RHCE

124»

Comments

• Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One funny thing for me. First time I took the exam I had a topic I could not solve at home. At the exam manage to do it without too much fuss.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Passed the RHCE today. Still couldn't get kerberized NFS to work, despite ensuring all steps were met, but whatever.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    About time! Congrats. So far you are off to a good start for the new year. Now you can focus on the specialized exams. I'm barely making a dent in my RHCE progress so far. Got distracted with Linux-related projects for the sake of building up my portfolio.

UPDATE: Forgot to ask. Can you at least elaborate on the difficulty of the test? Was it easier the second time you took it or you were sweating just as hard as the first time?
  • Options
    I was a little nervous, especially because I now have spent $800 for these exams. I felt a lot more confident and powered through 75% of the exam, but by the last hour I started getting fatigued. I probably should have taken a break at 2.5 hours.
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    Passed the RHCE today.
    Congrats!
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    Nice one Verities.

Now you can just tell everyone else who asked how you breezed it and could have done it with an hour to spare.

RHCE still remains the toughest exam I have done - solely because I struggled to fit all the tasks in and timed out.
  • Options
    @asummers: I agree...I'm so glad its over.

@gkca: thanks!

@hiddenknight821: I might pursue the COE for server hardening or deployment and systems management, but that's only if my company will sponsor the training.
  • Options
    The server hardening is a useful one and one that you can learn without official training. The Systems deployment i.e. satellite server is very redhat specific.
  • Options
    asummers wrote: »
    The server hardening is a useful one and one that you can learn without official training. The Systems deployment i.e. satellite server is very redhat specific.

I guess its lucky I'm the Red Hat Satellite admin for my organization. Unfortunately, I don't think my employer will get me training for either exams, but they will reimburse me if I achieve the COEs. On a positive note, Sander Van Vugt just put out a decent video series (available on Safari Books) covering the Server Hardening objectives, which also align with the LPIC-3 303: Security Professional objectives.
  • Options
    power321power321 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    Passed the RHCE today. Still couldn't get kerberized NFS to work, despite ensuring all steps were met, but whatever.

I have a quick question:
    I took RHCE exam about 2 mounts ago. Because of my background and my job, I am 100% familiar with Linux. I went there for 300 score but, I got 0 score. yea! 0 score. It was all about one of the stupid last questions about iSCSI. I got confused because I didn't know which hard drive should be goes for iSCSI and then I made a silly decision and boom in a last minutes my machine was not able to boot.

I have plan to retake the exam again this month. Do you have any suggestion about which partition should be choose for building block. As far as I remember there was only one sda and NO free space ???
    I am completely aware of NDA and I respect that. I just do want to make a mistake again and learn a new thing! I guess this is a main purpose of all IT exams.

Thank you,
  • Options
    power321 wrote: »
    I have a quick question:
    I took RHCE exam about 2 mounts ago. Because of my background and my job, I am 100% familiar with Linux. I went there for 300 score but, I got 0 score. yea! 0 score. It was all about one of the stupid last questions about iSCSI. I got confused because I didn't know which hard drive should be goes for iSCSI and then I made a silly decision and boom in a last minutes my machine was not able to boot.

I have plan to retake the exam again this month. Do you have any suggestion about which partition should be choose for building block. As far as I remember there was only one sda and NO free space ???
    I am completely aware of NDA and I respect that. I just do want to make a mistake again and learn a new thing! I guess this is a main purpose of all IT exams.

Thank you,

It happens...we all make mistakes, especially when we're on a serious time crunch. I know I made plenty of mistakes the first time I took the exam. While studying for your retake, I suggest reviewing the following RHCSA objectives along with the RHCE iSCSI objectives:

Configure local storage
    List, create, delete partitions on MBR and GPT disks
    Create and remove physical volumes, assign physical volumes to volume groups, and create and delete logical volumes
    Configure systems to mount file systems at boot by Universally Unique ID (UUID) or label
    Add new partitions and logical volumes, and swap to a system non-destructively

Source:
    https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/ex200-red-hat-certified-system-administrator-rhcsa-exam
  • Options
    I have a quick question:

Thank you,

I wouldn't feel too bad, the group that took the exam with me had some very clever people with lots of Linux experience, and lot's of them failed. Key thing is to wind it in a bit, and see where and why it happened.

From what you have said it was because you didn't pay particular notice to the nil-point scenerios i.e. anything that can affect the boot up of the system must be taken REALLY carefully. If I was in the situation where you have a couple of minutes left but might not have a bootable system - then don't do it - I would take the hit on losing SOME points rather than losing ALL the points.

As Verities has mentioned - creating and manipulating filesystems is a core requirement and in fairness not too difficult once you get used to it.

More practice before next exam and you will be ok.
  • Options
    power321power321 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea! you right guys! At that moment, I was supper excited to get 300 score! Because the exam was fairly easy for me. Next time I am never do some silly mistake even I loose some points :)
    Thanks asummers and Verities
  • Options
    Yea! you right guys! At that moment, I was supper excited to get 300 score! Because the exam was fairly easy for me. Next time I am never do some silly mistake even I loose some points :)
    Thanks asummers and Verities

300 is the second best score, the best score is 210