Options

CCNA/CCENT and Lammle Question

Blang008Blang008 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I've gotta get my CCNA. I've been in IT for about 10 years. Haven't been around networking since the beginning when I had my Network +. I know my way around the CLI for Cisco routers and switches. It's mostly the conceptual factors that will probably give me trouble.

Question: Should I go for CCENT and then CCNA or just CCNA?

Question: I have Lammle's CCNA R/S Study Guide. Should I pair that with CBT Nuggets? How have others paired those two together? Read one chapter then watch the corresponding video?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd go the 2 exam route personally but that's up for debate. I'd also pick up Odom's OCG and use that along with Lammle. CBT Nuggets are optional and serve more as a general overview of the material.
  • Options
    AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nugget (Jeremy Cioara) is nice, he is very good at teaching but the course is not very detailed, for me the best video material is without any doubt the INE one (Keith Bogart). it is very detailed and explained in an interesting way.
    I'm using it in pair with Odom's book and I think it is a perfect match.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Both Todd Lammles book and CBT nuggets are pretty good for CCNA studying. Nothing will beat practical knowledge though, just make sure you are doing lots of lab work.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went the two exam route, and I don't have any regrets that I did. CBT Nuggets was very good. I also recommend Chris Bryants CCNA series off of Udemy. Very good stuff.
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While the original Odom Cisco Press book was a huge resource for me, I owe Jeremy Cioara/CBT Nuggets a huge thanks for helping me pass CCENT the last time around. His videos aren't detailed enough to use them alone, but are great complimentary "nuggets" as you move through the book. The way he explained subnetting clicked with me, unlike some other methods/authors. Plus he is kinda fun to listen to because he is highly energetic and seems to genuinely love teaching the topics.

I have to renew my own and then get CCNA. I HIGHLY recommend the two-test approach and Cioara even states in one of the early videos the would recommend this approach too. I passed the old CCENT which I hear was much easier than 100-101 is now and I honestly didn't think the test I took was some walk in that park. Just my two cents. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll check out some of the video suggestions.
  • Options
    Question guys. Are the practice questions at the end of each chapter in the Lammle book similar to the questions on the exam? I know there is not a whole lot you can say with the NDA, just curious as to whether they are a good measuring stick.