Options

Timeline for starting new job?

CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm transitioning out of active duty military and have had several people contact me about positions though it basically always ends with "you're too far out, they need someone sooner". At first I was thought that was understandable since I cannot start until early-mid October. I've been speaking to people since May so I knew that would be their response back then, but now just 2 months out I'm still getting that response.

I'm hoping that will change any day now, but just wondering the average timeline for starting a new position? Is 2 months still way too far out? Even for a mid-level position that is an area that's not easy to find candidates, especially with the clearance requirement? I see these positions stay on job boards for months, so I can't help but think "why not just lock someone in?" These are all positions that require a clearance so that has to be validated and transferred, which takes a little while if I understand correctly. Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    In every call I get, they always want someone available ASAP (less than a month). It is completely normal.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Two months out is kind of far for prospective employers because they see the position as possibly getting filled sooner. It doesn't sound like you're having any problems with getting contacted for positions, so I would say once you get down to about 3 weeks left you should be fine. Traditionally in civilian sector you give a space of 2 weeks before starting at a new job. I always recommend to transitioning military to apply for Unemployed Benefits as soon as you get your last paycheck from the military. This should give you enough of a cushion until you get signed on with another employer.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had the same problem when. I called the recruiter back for the position that I wanted about 2 months prior, she told me to call back in a month. I did and I got the job. It blows my mind how one of the hardest things to do getting out is finding a job, but if you find a job no one will commit until almost the day you leave, to top it all off they go back and forth on when you can sign for bonuses. It's like the Army knows that 90 days out you still wont have a job so you'll resign for free.
  • Options
    guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think some jobs have a high turn over rate, so a job will likely always be open. I have seen jobs and currently at my current job wait for people a couple weeks. 2 months is pushing it. Look at it from the companies perspective, if Billy quit we have contractual obligations and manpower to consider why wait 2 months when I can find someone in a week or two.I was in a job and they wanted to wait for a guy to pass a cert for a month.....that's a month I had to do my work and the other persons work that quit. That was some BS! From a guy who's been through it, I have been supportive of hiring "a body" you can train anyone. In 2 months of waiting that guy/gal could be trained up. I have backed out of many of jobs for one reason or another. That Is another reason people don't wait. If i wait 2 months and you back out the job....I just waisted my time and screwed the team who is working harder to compete the task because they are short a body.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Appreciate all of the input. I guess I expected that in an area with several DoD jobs that seem to go unfilled that someone would be looking to seal the deal on someone that meets all of the requirements instead of taking the risk of them getting snatched up. Maybe they're not hurting for candidates as much as the job boards make it look.
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, it does suck being told that they need someone within the next week or so to fill a job, got that a lot when I was getting out in November. With this job I have I had to wait 3 months (I was somewhat quick for this) before I started my current job.... had to wait for the clearance to be reviewed by the agency for the contract position.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suspect that when you get closer to getting out youll have more people calling you back.